• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1.6--->2.0L. Heater connection at the back of the head?

arminyack

So I was about to tackle issue as described in the thread title, and thought I would ask here first, instead of reinventing the wheel. Has anyone who's done this have an good solution for going from smaller connection to the bigger?  

the 1600 connection is the left, 2002 is on the right...

mci7V3d.jpg

I don’t have the answer, but I believe the size differential is a function of year and not sub-model or engine displacement. This size differential obviously has ramifications for the heater hoses and the heater valve as well.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

^+1

So there are two size are available and think the one you need part # 11120543338    M18X1,5/18MM

109802280_ScreenShot2019-03-18at2_04_18PM.thumb.png.2bf1025a58eb1a124d2b040e69250294.png

Confirm thread size on your existing one before placing order.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/nipple/11120543338/

larger one 

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/connector/11121250746/

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

The connection size was changed when the factory enlarged the heater core and increased he size of the connecting hoses (and heater valve).  I think this took place sometime in 1970 or 71, but the parts book is unclear--doesn't list a VIN at where this took place.  Perhaps not until the E12 head was introduced partway through the 1972 model year. 

However, it does show that the small diameter nipple screws into an adapter which in turn screws into the cylinder head, and the larger nipple doesn't use the adapter.  This would imply that by removing the adapter the larger nipple would fit directly into the head.  Don't hav any heads handy to prove what the parts book implies, though.  

Keep in mind, though if you install the larger diameter nipple on the head, you'll need a larger diameter hose, and then the heater core with the larger diameter nipples, plus the larger water valve and the second hose for it all to work properly.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

the small diameter nipple screws into an adapter which in turn screws into the cylinder head

The adapter in the parts manual shows a hex headed version but you might have an adapter that has a round head.  In which case you would definitely want a machine shop to remove it.  Even the hex head adapters can be problematic to remove as they are steel screwed into an aluminum alloy.  Here's the Parts Manual visual and two pics of the adapter and hose connection on two 1600 heads.

Head Heater Hose Connections.png

1600 Head Outlet (2).jpg

1600 Head Outlet (1).jpg

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

When I added a 32/36 carb and 316 intake manifold to my 1600 I had the same issues but on the other side of the heater core.  I used a combination of reducing elbows and straight reducers to join the two nipples.  I got them from Pegasus racing.

When I replaced that hose with a silicone one, it was for the larger diam.

I made a rubber sleeve at the heater core and clamped the hose over it.

It's been holding. I check often 'cause I didn't think it would work.

Mike_

I don't give a fird gen, carbretted, alyoominiuhm, tickity boo!... wiff an ole in the boot!

3 hours ago, arminyack said:

bleah, the adaptor is NLA....time to combine these two fittings into one!

That's what I did when I put a 1600 motor into a 76 chassis. I used a smaller dia tube and welded into the larger dia tube making a step transition for both size hoses. 

smaller hose out the back of the 1600 head to the transition part.

larger hose from the transition part to the heater valve, unless you have a smaller early heater valve. 

but what do I know, I use a double row timing chain master link on a single row chain. 

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

Hi Andrew,

I vaguely remember coming across this issue when replacing heads one one of my 1600s back during the 80s. As I had a lot of hoses laying around, I found that there was a transitional period at some point during the early 70s when BMW actually manufactured a hose with a step up or step down feature. The hose in question came off a car that must have been a 70-72. So, I used a used, but good hose I had laying around from an early 70s transitional period car I had dismantled.

Slavs