• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

half shaft can lid

71bmr02

any suggestions on how best to seal the "can lid" on the half shafts.  I've tried everything but no luck ,  still have an air leak when i pull on the axle shaft and where there's air going in there's a possibility for cv grease to get out. 

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I do not remember performing the suck test when I completely overhauled my CV joints.  Nice test. Good Idea. Sounds like such an air leak might be an issue; however, experts here might say not to worry.

Are we to assume (1) the contact edges of the lid and the CV body are clean, smooth, even, and not dented, (2) the lid, after being tapped into place, is tight and snug, and (3) you did not use any sort of sealer?

Larry

Removing the "can lids" is like removing a paint can lid, some distorting and edge damage will occur.  i tried to be as careful as possible and was able to straighten the lids.  they did go on snug and initially i did not use any sealer.  after discovering the air leak i removed the lid and checked more closely and it appears the factory may have used a sealant of some sort. i cleaned all the surfaces with acetone, removed what appeared to be sealant and reinstalled the lid with black rtv as a sealant.  I still have air leaks and it may be the leaks(s) are from the areas where the bolt holes are almost in contact with the lid.  Lids apparently are nla. 

• Like 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with the term I-rings, is that a reference to the "can lid" or to a seal that fits the outer edge of the can lid.  I believe i discovered there is a precision fit between the lip on the cv shaft and the hub flange which effectively would provide a mechanical seal.  I'll use the acetone clean procedure and seal the can lid with black rtv and torque the cv nuts to the recommended value.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Just now, 71bmr02 said:

I'm not familiar with the term I-rings

O'll bet that was a type-i.

• Haha 4

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

FWIW: When I was working for a full-tilt racing shop, the techs would purposely install the tiny aerosol spray straws inside / extending out from the boot before tightening the clamp - to allow for venting as temperatures rose. YMMV.... 

If you're using the aftermarket boots, you may find they begin to crack in a few years anyway (mine lasted 5 years / 60,000 miles +/-) ....so "air tight" is a relative term, anyway. It's a shame - as the original ones lasted 40+ years! Use of synthetic materials instead of rubber is the issue, I suspect. Luckily they're dirt cheap. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

my concern with the air leak is grease being thrown out as it thins out with temp rise.   removal off the cv joint requires a rap with a hammer and drift to separate it from the stub axle flange confirming my observation of the mechanical seal created by the lip on the cv joint and the flange on the stub axle. sealing of the can lid may be more of an exercise in diligent care than an all out effort to stop air leaks in the cv joints.

• Like 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

I wouldn't worry that the grease thins out as the "drop point" is several hundred deg.. They never get that hot, even next to the exhaust pipe. Grease can come out from the rotation of the shaft and even that is rare given that the shaft doesn't rotate that fast. I just did some bearing calculations for packing the rear bearings and found that at a maximum speed of 140MPH the rotation is about 3800 RPM. So, at a speed of 70 MPH that would be less than 2000 RPM.

That said, I agree with Paul on the quality of the boot material, and would just put a small amount of sealant around the perimeter while the boot is "at rest". I think that the air pressure issue is negligible in a street car due to the small amount of air and the flexibility of the boot.

I would be more concerned about water infiltration than anything else at this point.

• Like 1

Yes to most of the above, with the observation that about the only concern is

getting dirt into the CV.  There's not much water back there, and it doesn't

migrate into the CV, unlike the front strut, since there's nowhere for it to pool.

As long as you have a relatively 'dust resistant' assembly, it'll last 10+ years.

I have seen them fling small amounts of destabilized 'grease oil' but never nearly

enough to affect anything.  They don't dump their guts unless the boot fails.

And yes, the boots currently available mostly, in a word, suck.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• agree with all the above particularly quality of the boots.  I'm changing diffs and either the quality of the 320i boots is about on par with aftermarket parts or a po installed boots as replacements.  they are in such poor shape I'm staying with the 2002 boots that may be original and if they are, they are in much better condition than the 320i boots.  save them old boot's they are infinitely better than whats currently avail.
  • Like 1

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

didn't think of that one, good thing cause I have an expansive  list of #1's on the top ten stupidest things i ever did. Just when  i think i can't possibly top that for stupid, I'll one up it .  I did use a "can lid" that i managed to mangle beyond any use to get them stared and a small ball peen to finish off.  

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)