• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 245 5 speed conversion ups the value -Yes or No?

Tdh

Your're all wrong...

According to the private message Guest_Anonymous sent me, entitled "being a dick," its about the "philosophical."  

Go figure!  

Edited by Tdh

4 hours ago, jimk said:

I see the arguments for the 4 speed as though the USA roads are like Bavaria.  This is the USA, the 02 was not designed with a driveline for the US, it was dragged over here by Hoffman, BMW didn't send it.

As soon as BMW discovered the US market was a winner for them, the E21 with the OD trans came along.  

It's not simply that they suddenly took our market seriously and immediately began supplying us an OD trans, it's that US spec E21s were fuel injected, which is how you really take advantage low-rpm cruise conditions for fuel economy. Don't forget CAFE took effect starting in 1978.

Low rpm, high gear, high throttle angle (low vacuum) and lean mixture is what gets it done. Carbs can't really do high throttle angle (low vacuum) and lean mixture.

So, running carbs at higher RPM makes more sense to take advantage of what they do well (ok, if not "well," "better" at least) which obviates the use of an overdrive.

Cheers

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tdh said:

Your're all wrong...

According to the private message Guest_Anonymous sent me, entitled "being a dick," its about the "philosophical."  

Go figure!  

He did say that.  I'm not defending him.  I'm not sure why you got that comment, to be honest.

But I think it was more about the definition of value.  I think a lot of people here find value in their 2002s by making them how they would like them- 5sp, 4sp, LSD, s14, big radio, no radio, stock, RacecaR, whatever.  So I think some of the people here that are annoyed by the massive increase in monies changing hand for their silly little cars get defensive about questions about how to make them even more expensive.

Personally, I see both sides- but I would prefer they just be silly little cars that (almost) no one wanted.

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

21 hours ago, ray_ said:

I thought the thread was about speculation.

?

I would posit that it's presented as a technical argument,

but the underlying concern is that the 2002 is no longer

seen as a car, but another teat to squeeze money out of.

Symptom of a larger societal split between those who grab

all the money they can out of sheer greed and avarice,

and those who just want to have fun with the years they are given.

And the manipulation of the second group by the first,

in all the various and nefarious ways possible.

This has turned into one of the better threads recently...

t

rich people taste better

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 minutes ago, TobyB said:

another teat to squeeze money out of.

Where the hell is this cash extraction point??

all I can find is the big hole that the cash flows into...... maybe it’s in the blue book.

but I can’t afford one of those ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, irdave said:

He did say that.  I'm not defending him.  I'm not sure why you got that comment, to be honest.

Dave,

I'm pretty sure I got that comment thanks to my snarky  response to his comment.  I tend to think of a BBS like this as great way to share info, but also a great place to have some fun.  Not everyone sees it that way, so sometimes my playfulness is taken seriously and noses get out of joint.  At any rate, I'm sure Guest_Anonymous is a nice guy/gal in person.  

55 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Symptom of a larger societal split between those who grab

all the money they can out of sheer greed and avarice,

and those who just want to have fun with the years they are given.

Toby,

I couldn't agree more.  I drive all the cars I own, and things like rock chips, dings, and faded paint don't bother me in the slightest.  To me, all that stuff is a sign that I'm enjoying the cars I have.  When things break, I fix them...or not.  I'll end up a decrepit old heap in a nursing home one day, so I believe my cars and bikes should suffer the same fate. 

The guy I got into the argument with is the polar opposite of me.  He's the boring, stick up his ass, doesn't drive his cars because they're investments type of guy you hate getting into a conversation with at a show/rally/event.  He can't turn a wrench or weld a bead, but he can tell you which hand Malcolm Sayer wiped his arse with (he's Jag fan).   Because '02's have become valuable, they're on his radar.  It BOTHERS HIM TO NO END that I drive my car...daily.  It bothers him even more that I would dare modify my car from its original configuration (My '71 came to me in very good, preserved original condition).  Because I'm a smartass, this means I have to goof with him every chance I get.  So, the point of my post was to survey a group of actual enthusiasts for their opinions, rather than asking the typical rabid, hot market '02 buyer, who'll pay through the nose for a car that's been restored to hell and back (or is an original survivor) and then never drive the thing.  There's nothing wrong with that of course, it just isn't my bag.  

Most everyone here is a long time owner of an '02.  Because I support my hobby by working on/restoring other peoples cars, i get to play with a variety of different marques, and I get a feel for the types of people that dig those other marques.  Trust me when I tell you, the '02 community is as good as it gets (with Series Land Rover enthusiasts running a close second).  

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Tdh said:

Dave,

I'm pretty sure I got that comment thanks to my snarky  response to his comment.  I tend to think of a BBS like this as great way to share info, but also a great place to have some fun.  Not everyone sees it that way, so sometimes my playfulness is taken seriously and noses get out of joint.  At any rate, I'm sure Guest_Anonymous is a nice guy/gal in person.  

No he's not.

:D

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Tdh I think your last post comes full circle to answer your own question - what value does a five speed conversion provide to you?  

Separately, to paraphrase a wise old comic, of course there's cash in old cars -- I keep putting money in and I've never yet gotten any out...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy