Hodgepodge

I must be low on blinker fluid....

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I got my '74 Chamonix 2002 back from the paint shop the other day and have been fixing little things like the loose shifter (what a PITA those little delrin rings are to install if you don't have the driveshaft out!), installing driving lights, etc.  

OK, here's the interesting part.   My turn signals work, both left and right, and all the bulbs are installed and working.  When I hit the left signal, the indicator in the cluster works fine.  When I hit the right turn signal, the indicator in the cluster BLINKS ONCE and then goes out.  I can still hear the relay working and ALL OF THE EXTERIOR SIGNAL LIGHTS WORK!   As I think those reading this know, a burned out bulb would make a fast blink, but I've never experienced a single blink and then nothing from the dash.  The emergency flashers work fine and the cluster indicator blinks when they are one. 

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the paint shop replaced a bulb with a LED.   The right-front fender bulb seems a little dimmer than the others, so I'll open that one up and look.    I own a '67 Alfa that has LED bulbs installed by a previous owner and they are an endless source of frustration. I'm going to pull the cover off and look.     

Any ideas?     

Sounds familiar although it was so long ago I had the same issue. My first recollection is a lack of ground somewhere. For my 73 '02 it was in the circuitboard (don't know what else to call it...) that needed some brass washers on the posts where it screws into the dashboard. 

Probably as suggested, a grounding issue. If grounds are all OK, it is in the relay , not making good enough contact in the relay to keep the signal going    You can take the plastic cover off the relay and watch when it makes contact for that side signal    might be able to "adjust " things inside

• Like 1

(edited)
14 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

...OK, here's the interesting part.   My turn signals work, both left and right, and all the bulbs are installed and working.  When I hit the left signal, the indicator in the cluster works fine.  When I hit the right turn signal, the indicator in the cluster BLINKS ONCE and then goes out.  I can still hear the relay working and ALL OF THE EXTERIOR SIGNAL LIGHTS WORK!   As I think those reading this know, a burned out bulb would make a fast blink, but I've never experienced a single blink and then nothing from the dash.  The emergency flashers work fine and the cluster indicator blinks when they are one....

Any ideas?     

I had this issue a few times. One time I fixed it by switching the two wires at the front turn signal....😯

According to some notes I’ve found, another time I fixed it by replacing the front and rear turn signal bulbs on the offending side. 

Maybe I accidentally altered something else when I performed these two “fixes”, but I didn’t knowingly do anything beyond what I’ve described.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

(edited)

a) bad connection or ground at the signal assembly

b) reversed wires. 21w filament should be signal. 5w filament for parking light

c) excessive resistance in the wiring from signal / switch to / from flasher relay

d) see above: a little tweaking of the spring inside the relay itself can compensate for this often times. Gently pull the black cover off and you will see exactly which "lever" toggles back and forth to trigger the dash indicator. Making that spring effectively "weaker" allows it to function when there's excessive resistance in the wiring. It beats replacing meters of old wiring, usually - and I've had a 90% success rate with this repair. I'd check items a & b first, however! This is a super common (and fixible) quirk of 2002s. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wegweiser said:

a little tweaking of the spring inside the relay itself can compensate for this often times. Gently pull the black cover off and you will see exactly which "lever" toggles back and forth to trigger the dash indicator. Making that spring effectively "weaker" allows it to function when there's excessive resistance in the wiring. It beats replacing meters of old wiring, usually - and I've had a 90% success rate with this repair. I'd check items a & b first, however! This is a super common (and fixible) quirk of 2002s. 

I'll bet this is the problem.  Most '02 flasher units have two sets of points inside--the smaller of the two is what causes the dash light to blink.  Carefully pry the cover off with the flasher still connected, and engage the turn signals.  The outside and inside lights blink in opposition (outside on, inside off and vice versa).  Watch the small point set.  If it only opens and closes a couple of times and then stops, turn the signal off, clean those points with a little bit of fine sandpaper, and try again.  If it still doesn't open/close reliably, carefully bend the movable point closer to the fixed one 'till it starts blinking every time.  Final test:  with the ignition on and the heater blower going see if the inside light flashes continuously--if so, you've got it.  

mike

Solution found!   Wegweiser's option 2 wins!  The pain(t) shop reversed the two wires in the front turn signal housing.   Thanks!   

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

Solution found!   Wegweiser's option 2 wins!  The pain(t) shop reversed the two wires in the front turn signal housing.   Thanks!   

Excuse me — and no offense intended to Paul — but I pointed this out in the post before Paul’s, in my Guide to Accidental Repairs.... 😋

Which proves that luck trumps actual knowledge every time! 😉

Congrats,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

@Conserv, why yes, yes you did!  😂 You can share the prize.  So we now know that swapped wires in a front turn signal is clinically proven to cause a really funky malfunction of the turn signal indicator in the instrument panel.    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hodgepodge said:

@Conserv, why yes, yes you did!  😂 You can share the prize.  So we now know that swapped wires in a front turn signal is clinically proven to cause a really funky malfunction of the turn signal indicator in the instrument panel.    

Naw.

We knew that decades ago.

:D

Cheers,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Excuse me — and no offense intended to Paul — but I pointed this out in the post before Paul’s, in my Guide to Accidental Repairs.... 😋

Which proves that luck trumps actual knowledge every time! 😉

Congrats,

Steve

Everyone is just so ARGUMENTATIVE today. Full moon? Something in the water?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Everyone is just so ARGUMENTATIVE today. Full moon? Something in the water?

What's your problem with that?

:D

7 hours ago, ray_ said:

What's your problem with that?

Vice!