David Layton

e21 Recaro bucket repair

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

My 73tii has e21 Recaros which need to be repaired and reupholstered.   I have found a good auto upholstery shop locally who can do it, especially when they saw the photos and recognized that the e21 and 79-82 Mustangs had basically the same Recaro seat option.  So, I have new padding, hog rings and tool coming in from CJPony,  BMW Basket weave Vinyl for the Center and the bottom straps and hooks from Aardvarc.  

We will have to repair and weld the bent driver's seat back bucket which we can do.  (Probably will want to reinforce same points on the passenger seat frame.)  I managed to lose an old thread on this.  Does anyone have a thread or a site discussing the repair of wayward Recaros? 

I will make a photo essay of this for the reference section.

17 minutes ago, David Layton said:

BMW Basket weave Vinyl for the Center

Where did you find the matching vinyl?  And in what color?  Didn't think that was available.  I have a pair of E21 Recaros in my basement that have been awaiting this vinyl for (too) many years.

mike

Some fabric,sewing craft supply chains c.f. Joanne's Fabrics in Wisconsin carry a reasonable supply of upholstery materials such as webbing, poly "horeshair" padding, various densities of poly foam AND ViNYL of several levels of quality.  Armed with some vinyl and SEM vinyl spray which comes in a fairly good array of colors you may be able to replicate at least the smooth textured portions of your seats. Good hunting.

This discussion goes into the differences between the Turbo center vinyl vs. E21 Recaro vinyl.

Buried in the latter pages are suppliers, of which are GAHH, World Uph., and another in Southern California.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/233901-turbo-seats/

HTH

(edited)

Mike,

The material I am using for the Recaro centers is from Jaymic and should be here either today or tomorrow via DHL.  Jaymic only has black.  I learn from Bob Lally whose seats were redone by Franzini Bros in the Bay Area that the TMI made replacement foam for the Recaros and sells it through CJ Pony as these were the same seats used in the 79-82 Mustang.    Here are the seats from a list member, Barney, using the Jaymic Material but with the later wide pleats.  The second is Bob's Seat from Franzini with the thin early pleats and embossed material on the headrest face.  If the 3 meters ( 3 times 130 cm by 100 cm) is sufficient, I want to do the narrow pleats and have the embossed material on the headrests.

624966994_BarneysRecaros.png.ac2ac09db014018ea208c826594179ba.png1586880416_RecarosbyFranziniBrosforBobLally.thumb.jpg.7ec2863b0b70602bd2f49f2e8d364487.jpg

Edited by David Layton

The E21 drivers seat in my tii is tweaked. I really don't notice it when I'm sitting in it but the pic definitely show that it's tweaked to one side. That will be next winters project while my tii is in hibernation.

IMG_4473.jpg

5 hours ago, David Layton said:

The basketweave vinyl arrived today!  Here is a close up of the material.

Jaymic Black BMW Basket Weave Vinyl.jpg

As triggering as that is for my Trypophobia, it is awesome none the less. 

Now if that basketweave only came in the later (72-73) tobacco color...I could do my seats!

mike

I am using the material to make a pair of 114 tribute skins for the e21 Recaros.  The weave will be only for the center and we will match the color for the vinyl on the smooth portions.   The material came in a one large sheet 130 cm by 300 cm.  Should be more than enough to do the centers with the narrow pleats per the early cars and the headrests per the photo above.  To answer your question, I am sure that the lady at the auto upholstery shop will sew the panels and the pleats.  (If a video  I saw on YouTube on how to make pleats in auto upholstery holds for this project, each pleat adds 3mm to the width of the center material.)

Edited by David Layton

Hi,  I got my front BLUE seats and matching rear covers from Coquette of California in Gardena. They are the horizontal pattern. Just installed them. Image below.  Since they had the blue material, they may have other colors as well.   

SCH_7454.thumb.JPG.08cfb4210657a2cd8db23218aed65f6a.JPG

• Like 1

May I ask two questions, please.

1. What is the price per meter for the Jaymic basketweave?

2. I'm located in Germany so a test buy would be not that easy and quite costly. Additionally my question isn't that easy to answer but maybe there's a way: I'd like to know about the hardness of the TMI foam parts?

I've found a VW Beetle restoration shop in my hometown Frankfurt that has ordered padding for a Beetle backseat from TMI, but that is about useless as it is really weak. Looks nice from the outside but if you touch and compress it, you can immediately feel that it's not really suitable for a person to sit on it. In no way comparable to original Beetle upholstery.

If you compare the TMI/CJPony padding to the not worn out parts of your original Recaro padding (if there are any depending on the conditions your Recaros are in), how would you describe the comparison?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Lars.

FWIW, Bob Lally's 1972 2002tii used this vinyl from GAHH.  

https://www.gahh.com/gallery/material-color-swatches/imported-vinyl-bmw.html

Black is 1010S

The pleats were top-stitched at Franzini Brothers to match the vertical pattern/width on the rear seat. 

The TMI Foam from CJ Pony is a perfect match for the original seats.  When completed the seats are comfortably firm and they feel as good as - if not better than - the way they were when new.  

• Like 1