• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

matching numbers ?

14 hours ago, tahoedon said:

My Feb 68 1600 came with the embossed front hood trim.IMG_0328.thumb.jpeg.c3bd0335544c3a9e61b4b6edfb326fc0.jpeg

Thank you, Don,

This is very interesting. And...I’m now recalling that 2002 production began in January 1968...and...the earliest 2002’s reportedly had embossed and blacked-out front hood trim, the black-out effect neatly echoing the 2002’s blacked-out grilles. This feature was almost certainly on prototypes and press release cars. It is unclear if the earliest examples sold through retail dealerships actually received the embossed and blacked-out trim. Most of our earliest 2002’s are in no condition to speak to this point: below, VIN 1660013.

Lastly, covers from April and May 1968 2002 brochures, illustrating 2002’s with embossed, and probably blacked-out, front hood trim.

Best regards,

Steve

4B53F29F-138A-42DE-B171-11A6043FBE10.jpeg

01C39FF8-8BC1-48CB-A618-B429D7F13055.jpeg

D795F6E4-7D13-41FC-BBC0-4DB6C27F601A.jpeg

E587592A-AF68-4F9E-BE5B-F58CE0AA850C.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 hours ago, HBChris said:

And 1968 US cars never had the embossed front hood trim I believe.

Even the earliest US spec 2002s had embossed hood trim.  I have copies of C&D, R&T and Popular Science from March and April 1968 with road tests of the 2002--all US spec cars--two stories (C&D and PS) have cars with the same manufacturer license plate--the same Polaris sunroof car.  The R&T car is different--from Hoffman's CA press pool.  But both cars have embossed hood trim.  Unfortunately none of the magazine pictures are sharp enough to read the VIN, but I'm sure these are very early production cars.  Probably yet another case of BMW using up parts before switching to a newer part number...

And...my Feb '69 production '02 came with the side grilles painted black, not with the black anodized appliques.  Don't think that started 'till the '70 models.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a June 68 2002, Have embossed hood emblem but all the paint is gone so I'll have to restore, The front grilles are blacked out except for a couple slats like the white one above. My car is 251 cars after the above Vin tag

1 hour ago, rcf925 said:

I have a June 68 2002, Have embossed hood emblem but all the paint is gone so I'll have to restore...

Our point, however, is that the blacking out of the embossed areas of the front trim might not have continued until June 1968: it may have died earlier. If that were true, your embossed front trim would not need restoration!

Unfortunately, the painted grille slats on the 1968 though early 1970 2002 grilles (my September 8, 1969 example, VIN 1668093 had painted slats) illustrate that black paint applied by the factory to anodized aluminum will disappear in a jiffy! ?

So, although we have brochure and road test photos showing blacked-out embossing on very early 2002’s, we don’t have much (any?) evidence of when this factory practice ceased. What we need are some good early photos of known-VIN cars. Got any?

Regards,

Steve

I'm a little confused, I thought we were just talking about BMW emblem on hood as far as embossed. Here's a couple pics of what I have, You guys that know more than me can tell me what I have. The one thing I do have of trim that is embossed is the piece that goes all the way across the front of hood. Maybe someone can tell me if this stuff is correct

grill1.jpg

grill2.jpg

23 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

I'm a little confused, I thought we were just talking about BMW emblem on hood as far as embossed. Here's a couple pics of what I have, You guys that know more than me can tell me what I have. The one thing I do have of trim that is embossed is the piece that goes all the way across the front of hood. Maybe someone can tell me if this stuff is correct.

Sorry. We’re discussing the piece of beltline trim that runs across the leading edge of the hood, as shown on Don’s 1600 in the attached photo.

On very early 2002 models — we’re not certain when the practice ended — those long narrow embossed areas were picked out in black paint.

Regards,

Steve

96D70026-7E64-44F5-8EC5-DA1B898025B6.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

40 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Sorry. We’re discussing the piece of beltline trim that runs across the leading edge of the hood, as shown on Don’s 1600 in the attached photo.

On very early 2002 models — we’re not certain when the practice ended — those long narrow embossed areas were picked out in black paint.

Regards,

Steve

96D70026-7E64-44F5-8EC5-DA1B898025B6.jpeg

I have that exact piece of belt trim for my 68, Not painted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

I have that exact piece of belt trim for my 68, Not painted

Exactly, and your car must be 1660264, a very early 2002, indeed. But this embossed trim, especially when placed on the front of a car, was adept at losing its paint...rapidly. Only if the year was around 1972 could we look at your embossed trim and determine whether the embossing was originally picked out in black! The state of your car’s hood roundel illustrates how well paint endured in that location! ?

Regards,

Steve

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Exactly, and your car must be 1660264, a very early 2002, indeed. But this embossed trim, especially when placed on the front of a car, was adept at losing its paint...rapidly. Only if the year was around 1972 could we look at your embossed trim and determine whether the embossing was originally picked out in black! The state of your car’s hood roundel illustrates how well paint endured in that location! ?

Regards,

Steve

My car is 1661541, My math was wrong I think

Edited by rcf925
  • Haha 1