Hodgepodge

Installing a 5-speed dash decal?

9 posts / 387 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

My Chamonix 2002 has a 5 speed.   My wife, who looked at the little shift diagram on the dash and only saw 4 gears, didn't know there was a 5th.   So I bought one of those decals that shows the 5-speed shift pattern.  

Any suggestions on the best way to remove the 4 speed diagram prior to installing the 5-speed version?   I don't want to screw up the dash.   

Edited by Hodgepodge

You didn't just tell her it was a secret?  My wagon still has the 5 speed ZHP knob even though it has the 6 speed in it.  It's fun to tell my friends to go ahead and put it in 6.  They look at the knob, look at me, look at the knob, shift to 6, smile.

I have no idea about the decal, haven't tried scrubbing it off myself- sorry.

• Like 1

I used a little acetone to remove the 4 speed decal with no apparent damage to the dashboard.

• Like 1

I never removed the original 4 speed diagram, decided to just cut the 5 speed leg off the new decal. Didn't have the heart to remove the original. 

DSC_4387.JPG

• Like 4

When Keith Kreeger was making these decals way back, I believe the decal just went over the top of 4 speed decal (thus hiding the orig decal).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 02Les said:

When Keith Kreeger was making these decals way back, I believe the decal just went over the top of 4 speed decal (thus hiding the orig decal).

Yup...mine went over the 4 speed decal....

IMG_0993.thumb.jpeg.c60b32d505f0df0b9a5893d0f9410b6a.jpeg

Only US spec 02 dashes (with a manual gearbox) had a gearshift pattern on the dash. For some reason, the federal govt thought we were stupid and needed a gear shift pattern to know where the gears were.  Euro spec 02 dashboards did not have a gear shift pattern (or fasten seatbelt billboard on top of the dash). 

G-Man

(edited)

. For some reason, the federal govt thought we were stupid

I'm not sure they were wrong.  They never said THEY were any smarter, btw... just that we had to do what they said...

I've also never looked to see if it WAS a Federal law...

But Dear Gott, the hit your 'original value' will take if you alter the pattern.

t

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, jrhone said:

Yup...mine went over the 4 speed decal....

IMG_0993.thumb.jpeg.c60b32d505f0df0b9a5893d0f9410b6a.jpeg

I don't see any evidence of the edge of the overlay - did you cut it down?