oh2ryan

Hood Torsion Bar Arm Question

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a question for the know-it-alls on something pointed out by @Coastalcrush408 - is this correct?

The driver side arm on the hood torsion bar has a curve to it. It is a smooth and even curve, with no signs of stress or kinks or bends. When comparing to other cars I have owned and found online, the arms on the torsion bar appear to be straight and symmetrical. I want to correct this now if it is not correct in any way. Again, for reference this is an Italian 04/1971 2002tii. The bar needs to be touched up again anyway, so now is the time to swap it out if needed. 

Also, the hood opens and closes perfectly, and there is no rubbing of the arms on the tops of the fenders.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4478.thumb.jpg.a1188d03f98a9e67f5ca9e1d23dbe432.jpg

IMG_4479.thumb.jpg.8dfdb58bc7b9fd6a4559417a3989bb68.jpg

Ryan, sorry to say, but that driver-side hood hinge upper-arm is definitely bent, not originally. Almost as if the hood has forced closed? Pretty odd...

Tom

• Thanks 1

So weird, I really don’t see how it would bend like that and not kink our left or right. It’s dead straight. I guess I’ll make another WTB ad!

Take it out and try and straighten it, what have you got to lose?      Going to have to paint any thing else that you get.    How are the hinges, both lined up on the nose about the same?   on the hood?    How is the adjustment on the fender attachment?      Is anything really different from the other side?

• Like 1

I believe I have one of those hood bars with the arms that attach to the fenders, if you need one.

8 hours ago, stephers said:

Take it out and try and straighten it, what have you got to lose?      Going to have to paint any thing else that you get.    How are the hinges, both lined up on the nose about the same?   on the hood?    How is the adjustment on the fender attachment?      Is anything really different from the other side?

Hinges are lined up identical to each other. The adjustments on the fenders may be a tiny bit off, which I didn’t really look at until now. Hood opens evenly and straight. 

Thanks everyone.

Page 41-26 of the factory parts book shows only a single part number for the hood torsion bar assembly for the entire production run, so your curved one is definitely not a special "Italy only" part.  It is odd, though that it's so nicely curved with no kinks--you'd think that with the reinforcing dimple running its full length that it would double over before bending as pictured.  

It also appears that the torsion bar with the side arms is a single assembly from the factory...

mike

Alright, confirmed my worries. I’d probably not mess around with straightening this thing unless I know it will come out perfectly and that seems like more of a challenge that swapping it. Not sure how I missed this pre-paint!

That's definitely bent, but on the other hand if the hood closes correctly, sits straight, latches down nicely, and nothing rubs against something that shouldn't, you might consider leaving it alone. . . if it's not broke, don't fix it!  I'll certainly understand if it just plain bugs you enough that you want to fix it anyway, just advocating that you probably don't need to stress or be in a big rush about it ;)

• Like 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

That's definitely bent, but on the other hand if the hood closes correctly, sits straight, latches down nicely, and nothing rubs against something that shouldn't, you might consider leaving it alone. . . if it's not broke, don't fix it!  I'll certainly understand if it just plain bugs you enough that you want to fix it anyway, just advocating that you probably don't need to stress or be in a big rush about it

+1

I agree entirely with this sentiment. If found before the re-painting, I would have definitely swapped it out. But now, after it’s been painted, it’s both nearly invisible and part of the car’s history — assuming it doesn’t interfere with the fit or operation of the hood.

There’s a story there. If you don’t have one, make one up! 😋

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2