Tacoma2002

Anyone familiar with BMW Marine GMBH?

16 posts / 890 viewsLast Reply

I purchase a boat with a BMW Marine engine and inboard.

I am wondering if anyone knows much about these? There isn't a lot of information out there that I have found. Could this engine be installed into a 2002? What changes aside from the obvious (remove the propellor!) would be required?

I am not sure that the boat itself is worth the restoration, but the engine is spotless!

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

• Like 1

may require significant changes to the back seat and trunk to get the engine in there.  outdrive would look kick ass coming out of the rear panel between square taillights... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If you search on here there are a number of old threads regarding the marine engines. Not too much information but some debate as to whether they would have the same camshaft as a car engine as a marine engine would have a completely different torque curve requirement. 

I just did what Simeon said and here are a few of the results.

This post looks like it could be the same boat, assuming it was Lacy, Wa. and you are in Tacoma, Wa.

post-68-13667652149878_thumb.jpg

My apologies guys - I did a search on this site AFTER posting the pictures and questions - I am embarrassed to be that guy, I swear I know better! A couple of hours of good reading though. Thanks for the responses.

'76mintgrün'02 - That is not the same boat as I own, cool to see though! Reinell built boats in the PNW and installed BMW Marine systems in several models from what I can tell. I figured the cam would need to be changed, but this engine seems to have very low hours on it, so if the boat isn't restorable (haven't inspected the transom as of yet) then I will pull the system and either install it into another vintage boat or look at if it could be modified and installed in my roundie. 

I thought you guys might want to see it. I have a half dozen vintage Beemer bikes, the '71 Roundie, a BMW powered boat, so all I am missing is an airplane and I am set!

• Like 2

Pic of the nameplate on the valve cover please.

That marine engine appears to have a very cool intake manifold with dual downdraft carbs...and I also suspect the exhaust manifold is water cooled.  Dunno about the camshaft, but I'll bet an e-mail off to BMW Classic could answer that question pretty quickly.

BMW wasn't the only European auto company who made their car engines available for marine use.  The original stern drive was Volvo-Penta back in the late 50s, on a Danish-built boat called a Cornet .  Mercury offered a 60 hp stern drive in the 60s and early 70s using a Renault R10 engine, and Mercedes has been offering marine versions of their engines for many years; AFAIK they're all for inboards; no stern drives.  

mike

uai - thank you! That is information I doubt I would have been able to find!

mike - The exhaust manifold is indeed water cooled, pretty cool with BMW markings all over it. I agree that I love the intake with the USCG approval stampings in the air cleaner covers (zoom in and you can see them)

jimk - the images are large enough that if you click on it you can then zoom in and read the plate on the valve cover.

Was it found near fresh water or salt water?

Looks super clean.  Spark plug wire holders are still white(ish)  The dizzy is a different colour, looks like a wrinkle coat on it.  

Previous owner only ran the boat in fresh water - had it out a few days before I bought it. He was not the first owner, so who knows, but the engine doesn't really look like it has seen a lot of use at all. I pulled the manifold and it is clean, so hasn't seen salt in a long time if ever.