• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Tenders

SydneyTii

Ok so I’ve read some posts where the recommendation is to not have a battery connected to the car when a tender is on the battery.

so my question is are there any that can be?

and what is the reason that it’s best not to have the battery connected?

i believe the genius type can be connected with the battery still connected to the car.

TIA

Edited by SydneyTii

Put a battery disconnect switch so there isn't any parasitic draw from any accessories (like a clock or stereo memory).   Install the leads that come with the Battery Tender for easy connection to the vehicle.

I have a dual Tender unit for connection to both cars.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'd not heard you shouldn't have the battery connected to the car when the tender is on. I have a few, and the instructions say nothing about disconnecting the battery from the car.

Maybe it's an explosion thing.  Like any charger, you'd rather not be near the battery when you connect the tender to the battery, because a spark might ignite the battery off-gasses. I suppose if the battery is in the car, under the hood, there's a greater chance the gasses will have built up.  But, this risk is easily mitigated with the battery tender's pigtail kit (bolts to the battery terminal connectors and allows you to be ~4ft away when you plug in the tender).

Edited by g_force
  • Like 2

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

I don’t do any of this stuff — cut-off switches, removing wires from terminals — and nothing seems to blow up. I use Nooco Genius smart trickle chargers and they fit my lazy-man approach.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 minutes ago, Conserv said:

I don’t do any of this stuff — cut-off switches, removing wires from terminals — and nothing seems to blow up. I use Nooco Genius smart trickle chargers and they fit my lazy-man approach.

Regards,

Steve

Well that sounds familiar, looks like that’s the go for me then!?

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciated as usual.?

9 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

It's usually easy enough to pull the negative cable from the terminal.  I like the CTEK MUS 4.3.  Search to find the best deal.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle

Tii John, negative is kinda under the snorkel, I have one of those disconnect switches on the battery that you screw in, but it drives me nuts trying to line up the screw thread and the bolt bit.

383BC510-A137-4FA8-91F9-0790B681B9CA.png

There is a factory sticker on my car advising that the battery should be disconnected before charging. This is related to the diodes in the alternator but may only be relevant for high current, old school battery chargers.

I have a CTek MXS5 multi-stage, processor controlled charger / tender which says it can be connected to any battery while still connected. Not actually done that (old dog, new trick) but probably would at a push. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Hi Simeon, where did you get it?

i get it electrically as I used to be a sparky, but as you have said these later tenders would probably not induce to much into the circuit st one time, thus avoiding alternator of battery issues, especially if it’s a quality unit and they make a point of saying it can be used whilst the battery is connected. 

I'm in Buffalo NY, so I take the car off the road for several months.  So far I have had good luck just removing the battery and putting it in the basement until spring.  Usually don't even have to charge it.  I guess it depends how long you want to store the car between uses. Good Luck

37 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

Hi Simeon, where did you get it?

i get it electrically as I used to be a sparky, but as you have said these later tenders would probably not induce to much into the circuit st one time, thus avoiding alternator of battery issues, especially if it’s a quality unit and they make a point of saying it can be used whilst the battery is connected. 

I think I bought it off eBay but this is a pretty good price. 

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/ctek-mxs5-0-12-volt-5a-battery-charger/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O0_IPDIL-_5IbvFVQb3UT8gM1YXFdwFSJswf0qfXexIDxGgMyMP3uQaAg4IEALw_wcB

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have these connected to three cars, generator battery and two mowers. Haven't disconnected the batteries and the oldest tender is now over 4 years old. No problems.

I disconnect, use the car, mower; when finished, reconnect. Battery is always fully charged ready for use.

4.jpg.3c114179c3c7723c1c29b302ec21e400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

^^^^ Yeah, ditto  for the wife's e46 BMW in Florida since 2003.. not used for 7 months ..mounted a Shumacher.in the engine bay and she plugs it in when leaving after the season. The original battery was replaced in 2016 after failing to take a full charge. 

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?