• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on an old guibo for use

I was under my car to identify whether I need an old or new style shifter rebuild kit from Blunttech and noticed my guibo has splits in it. I thought correctly that I had an unused one with the metal band still on it in my shed. Well I was right. I think I oredered it from the old Bimmer Parts folks in Pottsdam, Pa. It has a date on it; 2/26/95!  Would you use it after so long? If not, is this an item I should splurge on and get the OEM one rather than an aftermarket?  Also, would you use an aftermarket support bearing or BMW only? Many thanks!

ScottPS it has some markings on it; SHORE.   GOETZ.  as well as some numbers. 141.  15.5.  110113. Is SHORE or GOETZ familiar to anyone. I am assuming it isn't an OEM BMW guibo.

Edited by Scottjeffrey

Just now, andyleonard said:

I know this may fall into the Voodoo category but I have had really good luck soaking rubber stuff in Armorall before use. Like soaking, not squirting and wiping.

My first car (a 66 Beetle) had a red vinyl (Leatherette) interior.  One fall weekend, I scrubbed the seats with Armor All Cleaner then really coated them well in Armor All protectant.  On Monday morning when I sat down on the driver's seat to drive to HS, the seat bottom cracked in multiple places. 

Another poor decision:  wiping brake fluid onto bias ply tires to make them "super black".  I was a poor teenager who didn't know any better. 

• Haha 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'd run it.

Given the utter rubbish that's being sold out there now,

you might actually have the better option, there.

t

daring.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

21 hours ago, Scottjeffrey said:

I think I oredered it from the old Bimmer Parts folks in Pottsdam, Pa. It has a date on it; 2/26/95!  Would you use it after so long? If not, is this an item I should splurge on and get the OEM one rather than an aftermarket?  Also, would you use an aftermarket support bearing or BMW only?

For the reasons offered by Halboyles, using an ancient giubo would not be my first choice.  And, if this were a business venture and I was hoping to gain repeat business, using an old rubber part on a paying customer's car is imprudent.  That said, I will present a contrarian view.

First, a lot depends upon the rubber composition and how the part was stored.  For example, I have seen giubos vacuum wrapped and covered in dark paper.  This does not completely avoid ozone and UV light degradation, but it helps.  But consider an anecdotal argument that many giubos and driveshaft supports remain in service for decades.  This is while they are under constant static tension as well as being subjected to dynamic tension when the vehicle is being driven.  Throw in exposure to heat and hydrocarbons and some giubos literally stand the test of time.

Will using an old giubo result in an unwanted break down?  Or, for that matter will using a newer part ensure reliability?  The odds favor the latter scenario, but I would not necessarily rule out using an older part, since I have giubos and rag joints that have tolerated more than 20 years of regular use/abuse.  Mind you, they are all of the larger six-bolt variety, but they have handled parking on hills, in gear, too.  While I have not recently purchased a gibuo, from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, the quality is hit or miss.  In other words, buying a new part should be a recipe for a long dependable service life, but there are no guarantees.

With respect to the black art of rubber enhancement an rejuvenation, unless you are able to revulcanize rubber, everything else is cosmetic.  The joint is more analogous to a golf ball than a single rubber band.  Once elasticity is gone, vitamin-enhanced petroleum-based salve is unlikely to impart any long term effects.

Edited by percy
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, TobyB said:

I'd run it.

I hadn't seen Toby's post, but given my post, I halfheartedly concur.  My only reservation is actually inspecting the joint.  Removing the compression band and applying a little stress testing ought to indicate the part's general condition.  That said, I have seen examples of new joints explode within a few miles after installation.

giubo_1180x270.jpg

Giubo Couplings

Giubo Couplings are resilient in the direction of rotation and can run at an angle and will allow both acial and radial displacement. They are thus the ideal connecting element for all drives which are running uneven, prone to shock loading, and in which damaging peak torques or rotary vibrations have to be smoothed out; the choice of various “Shore hardness grades” for the “Giubo ring” allows for different damping characteristics.

Normally the high resilience coupling ring consists of natural rubber with a hardness of 65 Shore A; this operates reliably in the range between -25°C and 70°C. The use of the Giubo Coupling is not limited to applications in the Automotive Sector, it is also used in general machinery as well as the areas of construction, transportation, electric drives, power generators or connect to conveyor and centrifugal pumps.

Four properties that particularly characterize the GOETZE-Giubo coupling and therefore secure her a prominent place in the design of power transmission systems:

Torsionally flexible

1. Torsionally flexible:

Lengthwise flexible

2. Lengthwise flexible:

Angularly movable

3. Angularly movable:

Sidelong movable

Materials: Giubo coupling elements are made of natural rubber in several hardnesses, such as 50,55,60,65,70 and 75 Shore A. For special cases elastomers are made of materials on the base of chlorophene. To solve your drive problems, our technical support will be happy to help.

Edited by percy
  • Like 1