• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 n00b here

Fishfan

6 minutes ago, Fishfan said:

I see the bumper on their site. http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02fgbumperrear.html

If I did that, I'm wondering whether I should paint it black (like one of the pics) or the same color as the car (another pic has it that way). 

Investigate how and be comfortable with how those rear fiberglass bumpers are mounted if you decide to go that way. 

4 hours ago, irdave said:

Welcome, and just to reiterate, the 4 speed is pretty good.  The engine is designed to and runs best between 3 and 5k rpm...  It sounds like too much at first, but then you realize it's happy about it.

+1

Thank you, Dave.

The engine produces all of its power between 3,500 and 5,500 rpm’s: it is sweet, smooth, and ready-to-rumble when it’s in that zone. In this sense, it is very different from an American V-8. As Dave says above, embrace the engine’s power band. There was good reason the factory never offered an overdrive 5-speed on the ‘02 (they did offer a 5-speed close-ratio transmission): they didn’t want you cruisin’ around at 2,500 rpm’s....?

With a 3.64 differential, you’re running around 4,000 rpm’s at around 72 mph. It’s...busy, but the engine is happy and there is an immediate and strong response to every “truck-passing” command.

Enjoy,

Steve

7405A186-42B9-4C3B-890F-71DEE3A6EE92.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

55 minutes ago, Fishfan said:

I see the bumper on their site. http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02fgbumperrear.html

If I did that, I'm wondering whether I should paint it black (like one of the pics) or the same color as the car (another pic has it that way). 

Your choice.  Black is easier to touch up if it gets nicked by another car parking by Braille!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

First of all, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority!  Lotsa great advice on the board, plus friendly folks. 

A few more thoughts on your project.

• I have a slightly modified engine in my '73 (284 Schrick, 9.5 pistons) reaching the stock 3.64 diff via a 5 speed overdrive gearbox (from an E21).  It pulls just fine in 5th;  I've climbed all the steep grades on the WVA Turnpike without downshifting.  I grew up in Ft Lauderdale, so in flat-as-a-flounder S. Florida keeping the 3.64 diff won't be a problem at all.  At highway speeds you'll have plenty of go-juice in 5th.
  • suspension:  unless you want a jarring ride (and I'll bet your wife doesn't!) stick with OEM rubber bushings in the suspension except for the sway bars. Use urethane there as it doesn't affect ride.  For a sportier (but still not overly stiff) suspension, use H&R (or equivalent) progressive springs, Bilstein HD shocks and a larger sway bar (either 19mm front and stock rear, or 22mm front and 19mm rear)
  • Wheels:  decent 13" tires are getting harder to find, so--at least for the future--keep an eye out for 14" E30 wheels.  Offset is perfect for a 2002 (unlike the 13" E21 wheels) and choice of tires is better (although not great) in 14".  E30 14" steel wheels painted silver with the little Euro center caps look very Alpina, and the 318/325is wheels, although a PITA to clean also look great on an '02.  
  • Front bumper:  if you're gonna remove the OEM 5 mph front bumper and replace with the early style chrome one, suggest using the correct mounts for the early bumper.  The holes are already in the frame rails, and you'll only need to cut new holes in the nose panel to accommodate the early style brackets.  Mounting the chrome bumpers on the 5 mph brackets moves the bumper up several inches--and it looks odd.  And you don't need to fill in the large holes where the old bumper brackets went; simply make a couple of brackets out of the proper diameter pipe, weld a bracket on the end and use 'em to mount fog or driving lights.  Use the original rubber gasket around the mount and it'll look good.  
  • 2002 A/C:  it's all aftermarket. Behr, Clardy & Frigiking are the most common units available used, and I think Vintage Air (and possibly others) still make an A/C kit for 2002s.  However, it'll never be as good as anyone's factory air.  Get input from other 02 owners in hot humid climates before you install from scratch.  
  • Engine overhaul:  make sure when the head is re-done that the late style (E30) valve guides and stem seals are fitted.  They are much more durable and better at controlling oil leakage down the valve stem than the original design from 2002 days.  

When finished, i think your biggest problem will be prying your wife's hands off the steering wheel so you can drive!

Cheers, and again, welcome--don't be afraid to ask questions--the only dumb ones are the ones you don't ask that result in  expensive mistakes!

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

First of all, welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority!  Lotsa great advice on the board, plus friendly folks. 

A few more thoughts on your project.

• I have a slightly modified engine in my '73 (284 Schrick, 9.5 pistons) reaching the stock 3.64 diff via a 5 speed overdrive gearbox (from an E21).  It pulls just fine in 5th;  I've climbed all the steep grades on the WVA Turnpike without downshifting.  I grew up in Ft Lauderdale, so in flat-as-a-flounder S. Florida keeping the 3.64 diff won't be a problem at all.  At highway speeds you'll have plenty of go-juice in 5th.
  • suspension:  unless you want a jarring ride (and I'll bet your wife doesn't!) stick with OEM rubber bushings in the suspension except for the sway bars. Use urethane there as it doesn't affect ride.  For a sportier (but still not overly stiff) suspension, use H&R (or equivalent) progressive springs, Bilstein HD shocks and a larger sway bar (either 19mm front and stock rear, or 22mm front and 19mm rear)
  • Wheels:  decent 13" tires are getting harder to find, so--at least for the future--keep an eye out for 14" E30 wheels.  Offset is perfect for a 2002 (unlike the 13" E21 wheels) and choice of tires is better (although not great) in 14".  E30 14" steel wheels painted silver with the little Euro center caps look very Alpina, and the 318/325is wheels, although a PITA to clean also look great on an '02.  
  • Front bumper:  if you're gonna remove the OEM 5 mph front bumper and replace with the early style chrome one, suggest using the correct mounts for the early bumper.  The holes are already in the frame rails, and you'll only need to cut new holes in the nose panel to accommodate the early style brackets.  Mounting the chrome bumpers on the 5 mph brackets moves the bumper up several inches--and it looks odd.  And you don't need to fill in the large holes where the old bumper brackets went; simply make a couple of brackets out of the proper diameter pipe, weld a bracket on the end and use 'em to mount fog or driving lights.  Use the original rubber gasket around the mount and it'll look good.  
  • 2002 A/C:  it's all aftermarket. Behr, Clardy & Frigiking are the most common units available used, and I think Vintage Air (and possibly others) still make an A/C kit for 2002s.  However, it'll never be as good as anyone's factory air.  Get input from other 02 owners in hot humid climates before you install from scratch.  
  • Engine overhaul:  make sure when the head is re-done that the late style (E30) valve guides and stem seals are fitted.  They are much more durable and better at controlling oil leakage down the valve stem than the original design from 2002 days.  

When finished, i think your biggest problem will be prying your wife's hands off the steering wheel so you can drive!

Cheers, and again, welcome--don't be afraid to ask questions--the only dumb ones are the ones you don't ask that result in  expensive mistakes!

mike

Thanks for this. A lot to consider. On the AC, the car had it already. So did my old Dodge. The problem is updating to use modern refrigerant. Can be done, I did for the Polara but cost way more than it should have. 

R12 Freon still exists, still works, and is still used in many of our old cars.

My ‘76 — which I bought new — had it’s A/C refreshed in 2012 and I decided to stick with R12. The evaporator, blower, and condenser are the original units installed in ‘76; the expansion valve, compressor, drier, and hoses, however, have been replaced by now. It works very well — that is...very well for ‘02 A/C ! ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Fishfan said:

Thanks for this. A lot to consider. On the AC, the car had it already. So did my old Dodge. The problem is updating to use modern refrigerant. Can be done, I did for the Polara but cost way more than it should have. 

Yeah.

There's about 2000 threads here discussing a/c.

And everything else that you've asked.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

16 hours ago, Fishfan said:

The shop located a 5-speed transmission from a later model BMW and is recommending the upgrade from the 4-speed. Anyone have experience with that?

First of all, welcome ! You are joining a great community.

Regarding the gearbox, I have driven my 72tii everywhere including an annual multi-state pilgrimage, with the four speed. It is built to run at highway RPMs, so it is mostly the driver that tends to be uncomfortable with an engine running that high. That said, when I had a chance to put together my 76, I chose to do the 5 speed conversion. The motor was out of the car and apart anyway, and the flywheel and clutch were getting attention, so it was partly opportunistic, and partly a desire to relax the motor for longer interstate journeys. If there is nothing wrong, and you have no other reason to go there, I would personally leave the four speed alone. If you are going to do motor and replace clutch, etc, as indicated, then this is the opportunity.....once again, welcome.

72 2002tii

76 2002

https://www.classicvelocity.com 

18 minutes ago, Fishfan said:

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't let the guys at the shop talk me into modernizing the Polara's AC to R134a. Works great now but it was a time and money drain.

Get this book, by faq contributor Rob Seagel:

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Needs-Recharge-Mechanic-Conditioning/dp/0998950718

Also, search the faq for Rob's other books, and get a copy of "The BMW 2002 Restoration Guide" by Mike McCartney. It's all easy reading stuff, with dozens of ways to keep you out of a blind alley.

• Like 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now