Fishfan

2002 n00b here

47 posts / 1594 viewsLast Reply

Hi guys. I'm new to the world of 2002s but not to vintage cars. I have a 1966 Dodge Polara that I've owned for 15 years and I restored and use as my daily driver.  

I bought a 1974 2002 as a gift for my wife because her late father had one when she was a little girl and that started her life long love affair with BMWs. The car is at the shop that works on my Dodge and has been completely disassembled as a bunch of bodywork was necessary. After fits and stops, it seems like the project is finally moving again. 

The car was originally the mint green color and then the previous owner had painted it white. I will be having it painted Verano Red because that was the color of my wife's Dad's. The front bumper will be removed in favor of a valance and the rear bumper will get a tuck job.

The previous owner apparently used it at a daily driver until he blew a head gasket. So engine is going to be rebuilt. The shop located a 5-speed transmission from a later model BMW and is recommending the upgrade from the 4-speed. Anyone have experience with that?

What mods would you make for performance, comfort or safety?

Image-1.jpeg

Image-2.jpeg

Image-3.jpeg

Image-5.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Cool.

383?

😉

Welcome!

P.S. Regarding your other question, there's about 15 years of guidance for you, here, on this site.

😉

Cheers,

Welcome to the madness.  It's a beautiful experience.

The color would be Verano.  Very nice.

Generally, 2002s are awesome out the box.

Replace worn parts with stock items.  2002s are fantastic cars from the factory.  The only imreal improvements you can make are in the suspension and tires, and that is due to newer technology.

Stick to the tried and true mods that have been used for decades and work well. 

Suspension:  Either stock springs, bilstein HD shocks, stock rubber bushings, stock sway bars.  (Comfort)

Or:  Stage 1 springs (H&R, ST, Eibach) Bilstein sport shocks, urethane bushings, and 22/19 sway bars.  (Less comfort, more performance.  Still very usable as a daily driver.)

Engine:  Stock.  Replace the carburetor with a 32-36 Weber if it has the stock Solex.  

5-speed conversion.  If you don't travel long distances, I would not do the conversion.  But if you decide to do it, use someone with a reputation of successful installs.  If not done right, it can cause all kinds of issues.  And if you do the conversion, replace the rear diff from a 3.64 to a 3.91.  Otherwise, you won't any performance.  No need for a limited slip with a daily driver.

Brakes are awesome stock.

Stock wheels are 13 inch.  You can get 13 inch alloys from an E21, either the turbines or the mesh wheels.  Turbines are a dime a dozen and are actually pretty good.  They are 1/2 inch wider than the stock steel wheels and can better accomodate a little wider tire.  You can get decent tires in 185-70-13.  There are a few 14 inch options (mostly from an E30) or you can even go to 15 inch.  Just keep in mind that a wider tire increases steering effort especially in parking situation. And the bigger wheel gives you a shorter sidewall: better sterring response but less compliance.   

Enjoy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ray_ said:

Cool.

383?

😉

Welcome!

Actually, my Polara is the "economy" model, which means it came with a 318A Poly engine. Makes finding parts that much more errr "fun"?

Oh, these are the wheels that are going on. On the right, after cleanup. On the left, how they are before cleanup.

IMG_20190309_182348647.jpg

5 hours ago, Pierre said:

The color would be Verano.  Very nice.

I think we both flubbed it. Verona, right?

6 minutes ago, Fishfan said:

... Verona, right?

Correct. The third try’s the charm!

Welcome!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Welcome. Sounds like a cool husband/wife project.

I wouldn't 'tuck' those diving board bumpers. Get the old style and tuck those.

Depending upon where you live, A/C could be necessary or not. There's a debate as to whether people want it or not that basically is just a matter of opinion and comfort, as you say. I took mine out, but I live in NY. Where are you located?

If your seatbelts are iffy, there's a guy on here who rebuilds them. I just had mine done. Nice job too.

esty does very nice carpet sets.

Reupholstering stock seats is just expensive so live with yours if they're ok. If not, sit down for pricing.

Most likely your car would benefit from a complete suspension rehab and upgrade. Again, many opinions and 'comfort' levels here. 

Call Steve at Bluntech and introduce yourself. He'll guide you and supply you with everything you'll need at competitive prices. 

And these guys here on FAQ are just a wealth of knowledge and very helpful. Good luck!

Nick

• Like 1

Welcome, and just to reiterate, the 4 speed is pretty good.  The engine is designed to and runs best between 3 and 5k rpm...  It sounds like too much at first, but then you realize it's happy about it.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Depending upon where you live, A/C could be necessary or not. There's a debate as to whether people want it or not that basically is just a matter of opinion and comfort, as you say. I took mine out, but I live in NY. Where are you located?

Miami, FL. AC is not optional here. I just went through an AC rehab on my old Dodge. It's expensive and a hassle, but necessary. 

30 minutes ago, NYNick said:

If your seatbelts are iffy, there's a guy on here who rebuilds them. I just had mine done. Nice job too.

esty does very nice carpet sets.

Reupholstering stock seats is just expensive so live with yours if they're ok. If not, sit down for pricing.

I don't remember what condition the seatbelts are in. I'm going to assume bad. 

Thanks for the tip on carpet. 

The upholstery is in great shape. Honestly it was the biggest selling point on this particular 2002. 

Ireland Engineering offers a number of front spoilers & bumpers if you plan to get rid of the big ones.  They had a fiberglass rear bumper that matched the shape of the early small chrome ones.  http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/CTGY/2002-body-chassis.html

The offset on those wheels will have them stick out a bit & could foul the sheet metal depending on your tire choice.  Have the body shop roll the fenders & rear quarters.

• Like 1

I wouldn't 'tuck' those diving board bumpers. Get the old style and tuck those.

+1, and consider using the custom mounts that will fit into the existing bumper shock holes to accommodate said earlier bumper. Cheap and easy. Having been through removing the larger bumpers and painting afterwards, the holes left behind from removing the bumpers should be properly filled and prepared prior to paint. Nothing wrong with mintgrun (a heavily biased opinion) but I understand your color choice decision.

There is also a Kamei repro air dam available from Pierre (a poster on this board) that you may want to consider. Its a personal preference thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Ireland Engineering offers a number of front spoilers & bumpers if you plan to get rid of the big ones.  They had a fiberglass rear bumper that matched the shape of the early small chrome ones.  http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/CTGY/2002-body-chassis.html

The offset on those wheels will have them stick out a bit & could foul the sheet metal depending on your tire choice.  Have the body shop roll the fenders & rear quarters.

I see the bumper on their site. http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/02fgbumperrear.html

If I did that, I'm wondering whether I should paint it black (like one of the pics) or the same color as the car (another pic has it that way).