• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Spanish DCOE progression holes... what's acceptable?

jturner

Got a pair of 40 DCOE 151s in the mail from Pierce yesterday. My first experience with sidedrafts.

One of the carbs, the progression holes are exposed perfectly (through inspection holes) in sync by each throttle plate. ?

On the other carb, one side lags. Hard to describe... but the slower plate is maybe 50% of a progression hole behind the faster one.

For example, when one throttle plate has exposed 100% of the first progression hole, the other side has exposed only 50%. Same story for second hole and third holes, but the amount of lag varies, which leads me to believe that the progression holes aren't drilled uniformly between sides. My gut also says the throttle plates aren't lined up perfectly.

I could probably file down the leading edge of the slower throttle plate and make it better. But since this is my first pair of sidedrafts, I don't want to assume it's the right thing to do.

Is this par for the course with Spanish DCOEs? Should I expect to reshape a brand new throttle plate?

Or should I be returning one of these to Pierce?

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

Your butterfly shaft could also be bent.  Let Pierce know what the problem is.  They will take care of you.

I guess I’ve read so many disparaging posts here about Spanish Weber’s that I wanted to make sure my expectations are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

1 hour ago, halboyles said:

Your butterfly shaft could also be bent.  Let Pierce know what the problem is.  They will take care of you.

What Hal said.  Call Pierce, see what they say.  I would want them to be as close to equal as I can perceive visually.

Since they're new.

A pair of wrenches fixes used ones- but only if you're sure the throttle's bent, i.e. you can also see

that one plate's open a little farther than the other.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

A high percentage of Spanish production are not accepted by the importer for germany VGS - he sends them back, the rest is all tested and reworked if needed. That's why they cost a premium over other sources but worth every penny spent.

Cheers

Uli

On second look, both carb bodies have the same issue.

I remember reading about a German tuner who claimed to reject a high percentage of what Weber sent him. These things are cool, but I wish Mikuni was making em.

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

33 minutes ago, uai said:

A high percentage of Spanish production are not accepted by the importer for germany VGS - he sends them back, the rest is all tested and reworked if needed. That's why they cost a premium over other sources but worth every penny spent.

Cheers

Uli

Lol thats the story I was thinking of.

Is it wild to consider buying from him instead? Starting a retrofit with sketchy carbs seems like doing it on hard mode.

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I'm dealing with.

The first image is the left venturi. The 3rd progression hole is completely covered. On the right venturi, the 3rd progression hole is in operation 20-30%.

Would you run these?

IMG_5609.jpeg

IMG_5612.jpeg

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

I wouldn't be concerned about the gasket surfaces... that's not of issue.

That deviation isn't much...I'd personally be tempted to throw a pair of wrenches on either side of the throttle shafts, and give them a light torquing to see if I could get better alignment. 

I had to do this on mine, but mine are 40-50 year old Italians with the brass/bronze(?) throttle shafts, whereas the newer ones like yours are steel and less flexible.  If you're doing outside of the car, It helps to have a set of soft jaws you can clamp the carb-body in, put wrenches on either end of the shafts, roll them open, so you're not going to be bottoming out anything when ya start pulling, and then torque in the direction that'll yield a closer alignment. As with anything, start light and with small adjustments, and gradually apply torque. Don't go full ham!

But... as others have said, you've paid for a product with the expectation it should function properly, so your best path might be to have the vendor correct the issue. And, the steel shafts might also dictate that twisting isn't a viable option. 

But... as others have said, you've paid for a product with the expectation it should function properly, so your best path might be to have the vendor correct the issue. And, the steel shafts might also dictate that twisting isn't a viable option. 

Thanks for the fix. Like you said, I'm reluctant to muscle them into shape since they're new, and don't want a you-break-it-you-bought-it situation. Maybe if I'd done that procedure before.

I sent the carbs back to Pierce and these photos are of the carbs I got back from them for round 2. So I'm trying to decide whether to run them or get a refund and keep searching.

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

1 hour ago, jturner said:

I sent the carbs back to Pierce and these photos are of the carbs I got back from them for round 2

Do you mean that you received two sets of DCOEs with the same problem?!  Sounds like the QA line in Madrid might need to lay off the Rioja at lunch.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

22 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Do you mean that you received two sets of DCOEs with the same problem?!  Sounds like the QA line in Madrid might need to lay off the Rioja at lunch.

Well, the first two carbs I got both had this issue.

This second shipment, only one of them does. Not sure if they're the same two carbs...

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga 

Well, if Pierce acknowledged it as a problem last time then they should again. Send them the pictures and get their comment. If the solution is to tweak the throttle plates (and it might well be) then they really are the best people to do it given their proximity to parts of the stuff it up. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 minute ago, Simeon said:

Well, if Pierce acknowledged it as a problem last time then they should again. Send them the pictures and get their comment. If the solution is to tweak the throttle plates (and it might well be) then they really are the best people to do it given their proximity to parts of the stuff it up. 

So I'm getting the impression you guys wouldn't run them like they are?

Justin Turner

'74 Malaga