Einspritz

Brake Force Regulator / Proportioning Valve Specification

5 posts / 363 viewsLast Reply

I am doing an analysis and comparison of different brake compounds and need the "knee point(s)" of the brake force regulator.

This part is also used in the E12 and perhaps the earlier 6 cylinder cars with drum brakes in the rear.

Somewhere I recall that it is at 240 Lb., which seems low, but can't find it in my notes. If I need to test the parts that I  have, I need a specification to check.

Also, if anyone has information on other similar valves with different ratings that would be helpful too, though I do not want to install an aftermarket (e.g. Tilton) part.

Thanks!

ac 434 (Small).jpg

Sure.

~20 Atm / 280 lbs.

See the attachments. I found them in my E12 manual.

I am doing an analysis of the system with respect to the brake bias percentages, the different Mu values of the pads and shoes available, and the compression of the front springs (and shocks) under braking to find the best balance considering if there are passengers and bags in the trunk.

The OE valve may not be the best selection given the currently available friction materials (and tires' grip). If so, then it may be possible to have the valve re-configured or perhaps there is a substitute with another knee point or slope. I am not interested in installing, say, a Tilton valve in order to keep the originality of the system....

But so far, the calculation maximum seems to be ~1.0G before the rear gets too light to be effective.

Brake force Regulator turbo E12 Specification.pdf

Brake force Regulator turbo E12 Graph.pdf

7 hours ago, Einspritz said:

I am doing an analysis of the system with respect to the brake bias percentages, the different Mu values of the pads and shoes available, and the compression of the front springs (and shocks) under braking to find the best balance considering if there are passengers and bags in the trunk.

Brake force Regulator turbo E12 Specification.pdf

Brake force Regulator turbo E12 Graph.pdf

How may passengers fit in the trunk anyway? :D

Interesting graph. I was led to believe proportioning valves were much more binary than shown.

Cheers,