• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts caches at dealerships in other countries?

BarrettN

I'm currently traveling outside of the United States and was wondering if anyone ever comes across dealerships in other countries that might still have some old stock of parts that are NLA in the US and Europe? I'm in Central America, I suspect that even back in the day getting parts here wasn't easy, but I suppose I don't have anything to lose stopping by the dealership and asking. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Dealers in the USA can bring up a screen to see where the part with that number is in the USA.  You might be lucky enough to find old stock high on a shelf in the back room!

Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I can't speak specifically for any one dealer, but I have heard from board members who have purchased NOS parts from "european" parts dealers for pennies on the dollar. One of those parts ended up in my stock not to long ago.

If you have purchased parts from Walloth & Nesch, you will notice that they have BMW parts labels in addition to their own label. I have heard that they do get some of these from old stock they find at dealers.

If you talk to local enthusiasts, they might be able to point out european parts dealer and be lucky enough to find parts that are NLA sitting in a dusty shelf.

Good luck!

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

Max at Maxmillian used to be (and may still be) a real wizard at sleuthing out NLA parts from European BMW dealers due to his contacts, especially in Germany.  He cam up with some pretty esoteric stuff...

Barrett, if you're in Nicaragua, there's only one dealership, and that's in Managua.  Never had a chance to stop there, but considering almost the entire time 2002s were in production there was a revolution going on in the country, parts might be a little scarce.  I've only seen two '02s in the country over 16 years of traveling there.  And both were US spec cars--a roundie in someone's front yard, and a squarelight on the Leon road.

You might have more luck in Panama--they have a very nice dealership in Panama City--years ago saw a Sbarro (modern 328 roadster with 2002 running gear) in their showroom.  

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Surely these days BMW dealers the world over are faceless monoliths who ditched the idea of having shelves full on interesting parts a long time ago?

In these days of ‘just in time’ supply chains they would have gotten rid of anything that they weren’t shifting 3-4 of per week. I bet all the good NOS stuff is long gone. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 hours ago, Simeon said:

Surely these days BMW dealers the world over are faceless monoliths who ditched the idea of having shelves full on interesting parts a long time ago?

In these days of ‘just in time’ supply chains they would have gotten rid of anything that they weren’t shifting 3-4 of per week. I bet all the good NOS stuff is long gone. 

Think you'd be surprised what's still "out there".   Personal connections may lead to NOS parts and barn find cars that have been hidden away for decades.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

As John mentioned, Dealerships (and ourselves) have access to worldwide inventory status at the touch of a keyboard. I can tell you for instance, that as of 8:30pm tonight - March 7th 2019, there are 14 (FOURTEEN) tii front wheel hubs remaining in Europe and 4 (FOUR) E28 rear trunk mats sitting on a shelf in Germany. At $272.00 each, I don't think they're going to sell those hubs too quickly, but you never know. The trunk mats are about $105 each, if memory serves. 

As for NLA stuff... I don't have any magic wand to make such parts magically appear. I've found that when I DO source a rare or NLA part for a customer, they tend to remember two things:

a) We sold a really expensive part

and

b) we can get NLA stuff.

Neither of which is really helping us spread the word that we can offer killer prices on the common and easy regular parts. Like Uro tail light lenses (round for $229/pair or $259/pair for square ones!) 

Contributing to the issue, is that we use BMW's parts diagrams and they have not removed the prices from many parts that are NLA - giving folks the impression that they're available. I always prefer that my 2002 folks e mail me directly for this stuff. That way you get personal, analog, accurate information and service from a 2002 pro that cares about the details. :)

2002 grills.jpeg

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 8

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I'm in El Salvador - and I've learned to never say never. No one would have thought that I could have bought my rust free 74 tii for $2700 this year either :)

Guatemala has several 02s that I've seen there, and I know one family here with an 02, 2 e30 M3s and a couple of 930 euro spec Porsches for good measure. I suspect any of these people will have sucked up anything on a dusty shelf, but it doesn't hurt to ask. There's a family friend whose dad has connections to people with salvage yards, I'll see if there's anything interesting wrecked to pick over as well. 

• Like 2

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Sort of related question. Has BMW ever have enough requests for a certain part that is NLA that they tool up and start manufacturing them again?

Left frame rail, trunk floor etc...

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

17 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Sort of related question. Has BMW ever have enough requests for a certain part that is NLA that they tool up and start manufacturing them again?

Left frame rail, trunk floor etc...

Absolutely! YES! Chrome headrest rings for the later seats (12mm version but not smaller/earlier 10mm version) AFFORDABLE tii water pumps, paper gasket for tii throttle body lids, front tall overrider bumper rubber pads, firewall insulation (just last summer!) and many many other parts. There's light at the end of some parts tunnels! ALL GENUINE BMW!

IMG_5093.JPG

• Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

32 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

Absolutely! YES! Chrome headrest rings for the later seats (12mm version but not smaller/earlier 10mm version) AFFORDABLE tii water pumps, paper gasket for tii throttle body lids, front tall overrider bumper rubber pads, firewall insulation (just last summer!) and many many other parts. There's light at the end of some parts tunnels! ALL GENUINE BMW!

IMG_5093.JPG

Wish they’d remake Trunk lids Paul, I think that may be a very long tunnel with a candle at the end of it!!

• Like 1

They actually DID re-make a run of trunk lids in the 1990s. The cost on the fresh ones was $700 if I recall correctly. We were all so naive back then...and thought $700 was ungodly expensive.... how times have changed! I bet they'd sell reasonably well at $700 now, if the quality was good. Sometimes I wish my car was worth $2400 again. :(

Paul Wegweiser

3 hours ago, wegweiser said:

They actually DID re-make a run of trunk lids in the 1990s. The cost on the fresh ones was $700 if I recall correctly. We were all so naive back then...and thought $700 was ungodly expensive.... how times have changed! I bet they'd sell reasonably well at $700 now, if the quality was good. Sometimes I wish my car was worth $2400 again.

Yeah I’ve been chasing a new one for ages to no avail, Jaymic had heaps of 2nd hand, but by the time I shipped and repaired I may as well do mine.

if I can detach the skin from the frame I will repair mine, but I think it needs to be dipped to strip all the glue/bonding stuff off if you know what I mean? So that the skin will come away.

The only way I’d trust a repair is if the skins off and I can repair the lip, mine is average in one corner.

i reckon it would be about $900 to $1k USD to fix at least with paint but at least I’d know it’s good then.

if you ever hear of any new ones Paul I’d be grateful if you’d let me know please. Cheers.