• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts caches at dealerships in other countries?

BarrettN

In Germany NLA ( or at least we believe NLA ) part prices are ridiculuous. For example, last year Veterama there was old model nosepiece for 2500 euro and it was sold in couple of hours. BMW will remanufacture them, but someone with money was in a hurry.

I have asked from BMW that nosepiece, which will cost about 1300 euro and trunk bottom for touring. They kindly informed, that they will make a nosepiece ( 41331835659 ) again, but not the trunk bottom. So there are parts that will come available again.

On same journey to Veterama I visited BMW Classic. I wonder where they get parts for their restaurations, there was at least two 02's under restauration there.IMG_0185.thumb.JPG.b2c8c130d330ee1ff82ea71ad0d72767.JPG

Here is one picture from museum, photographing was not allowed, because many cars are private.

part of the problem is that dealers got a tax rebate on NOS parts that were scrapped, I used to buy from two dealers in Germany, modern and classic parts, one day I saw that one dealer in Duisburg had cleared the shelves of all the slow moving old parts, they were waiting for the scrap guy to collect, Factory rebuilt M10 and M30 engines, gearboxes, etc. etc. and none of it could be bought as the tax rebate paperwork had been processed.............. what happened to the dealer in Altena? went there 30 years ago for parts for my 3200cs V8 Bertone,  Pat

An independent BMW parts vendor closed down here a couple of years ago here in Puerto Rico and their very large old parts stock was bought by a couple of different guys. One of them is a friend and I was able to score from him quite a few E21 and 2002 NOS parts, including an almost complete set of E21 Euro Bumpers and a set of left and right roundie 2002 grilles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Hmmmm, we'll see if anything comes of it, but my father in law says that his old 02 with Alpina parts on it is still running around out in the country. I'm going to see if I can track it down before I have to head back. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

I’ve been in Latin America on and off for 40 yrs.

Last September I did see a 320 in Chiclayo, Peru but of course it had vanished by the time I fumbled my camera out of my pocket. I saw no other older BMWs during my month there, but then I was out in the middle of nowhere most of the time.

A older mechanic friend of mine here in Guantanamo did tell me that years ago there were 2 e3s in town but they are long gone along with any possible Cuban BMW dealers lol

I’ll be in Peru for a month again soon and will try to keep my camera more accessible ?

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I was in Cuba several years ago and didn't see a single BMW, new or old.  In fact the only pre-1960 imports I saw were a late 50s English Ford and a Renault Dauphine--that had been converted to front engine! (also saw a Corvair converted to front engine)

The closest thing to a BMW I saw was a Chinese copy of the Russian copy of the pre-war BMW motorcycle (built in the USSR as a Ural)--and this one had been converted into a three-wheel cyclo for carrying cargo. 

I'll bet that BC (Before Castro) there was a BMW importer in the country...wonder what happened to his parts stock.  Of course that was well before even the NK era, so parts would be for motorcycles, Baroque Angels and Isettas.

And there are always stories about fabulous classic US and foreign cars stashed away by wealthy families who fled Cuba in 1959-60 and had to leave the cars behind.  Never seen a picture, though.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

21 hours ago, mike said:

I was in Cuba several years ago and didn't see a single BMW, new or old.  In fact the only pre-1960 imports I saw were a late 50s English Ford and a Renault Dauphine--that had been converted to front engine! (also saw a Corvair converted to front engine)

The closest thing to a BMW I saw was a Chinese copy of the Russian copy of the pre-war BMW motorcycle (built in the USSR as a Ural)--and this one had been converted into a three-wheel cyclo for carrying cargo. 

I'll bet that BC (Before Castro) there was a BMW importer in the country...wonder what happened to his parts stock.  Of course that was well before even the NK era, so parts would be for motorcycles, Baroque Angels and Isettas.

And there are always stories about fabulous classic US and foreign cars stashed away by wealthy families who fled Cuba in 1959-60 and had to leave the cars behind.  Never seen a picture, though.

mike

I have seen a couple of recent photos of Isettas and 600s in Cuba. They more than likely have engines from newer motorcycles sold there.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

21 hours ago, mike said:

I was in Cuba several years ago and didn't see a single BMW, new or old.  

mike

There are plenty of newer BMWs in Havana but who knows how they get here lol 

As for the old motorbikes the answer is simple - after WW2 Russia shipped the BMW bike  factory east and produced the war-era motorcycle for decades and exported them to Cuba- there's still a lot of them on the road here. Sidecars and all!

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I just got some new old stock parts in Kuala Lumpur, the H4 headlamps plus indicator units.

IMG-20190311-WA0057-432x324.jpg.f9fa6057829ee9e98ade6f8c6c8d735b.jpgIMG-20190311-WA0044-432x243.jpg.c3d814a2a7a392d2056acdfc18a7228e.jpg

Under 500bucks for all four pieces.. not super cheap but ok I think.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

11 hours ago, dlacey said:

I just got some new old stock parts in Kuala Lumpur, the H4 headlamps plus indicator units.

IMG-20190311-WA0057-432x324.jpg.f9fa6057829ee9e98ade6f8c6c8d735b.jpgIMG-20190311-WA0044-432x243.jpg.c3d814a2a7a392d2056acdfc18a7228e.jpg

Under 500bucks for all four pieces.. not super cheap but ok I think.

A pair of new H4 Euro headlamps and a pair of new Euro blinkers would cost you around $1300 over here. So, most definitely ok at $500.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17