• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for opinions...EFI talk

scatman75

1 hour ago, scatman75 said:

volvo parts in a bmw seems sinful

I use a Volvo (Bosch product) MAF :o

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, scatman75 said:

How cheap is cheap and idk volvo parts in a bmw seems sinful

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We basically the Volvo fuel injection system is Bosch Jetrontic. It is cool for how simple is it, aside from a few sensors that are all the same that are fitted on the 318i manifold, all it takes to run is switched 12v and a wire to the negative coil terminal for the injector pulse. 

As far as cheap goes, if your local bone yard has a 318i and a 86-87 Volvo 240 you can get it done very cheap. I am pulling my motor soon for rebuild so I would sell you my turn key, fully fuctional system. You will still need to get a hi flow fuel pump, I used the 1991 318is pump, and also fab up a throttle cable bracket. 

We basically the Volvo fuel injection system is Bosch Jetrontic. It is cool for how simple is it, aside from a few sensors that are all the same that are fitted on the 318i manifold, all it takes to run is switched 12v and a wire to the negative coil terminal for the injector pulse. 
As far as cheap goes, if your local bone yard has a 318i and a 86-87 Volvo 240 you can get it done very cheap. I am pulling my motor soon for rebuild so I would sell you my turn key, fully fuctional system. You will still need to get a hi flow fuel pump, I used the 1991 318is pump, and also fab up a throttle cable bracket. 
Yea lmk message and we can talk numbers im def looking to do the conversion sooner than later

5 hours ago, Kingryan86 said:

The Volvo LH 2.2 fuel injection system is probably the easiest and cheapest. Search "LH2.2" I can make you a setup, that could have you up and running in 2 hours.  

This may be a silly question but I assume that the current fuel map is ‘close enough’ and it uses some kind of closed loop to tune? Can you change the tune that’s installed?

How does it cope with not performing like a Volvo?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

9 minutes ago, Simeon said:

This may be a silly question but I assume that the current fuel map is ‘close enough’ and it uses some kind of closed loop to tune? Can you change the tune that’s installed?

How does it cope with not performing like a Volvo?

The stock tune seems to be pretty good, it was a huge improvement over my 32/36. Its closed loop, uses an 02 sensor coolant temps and has 30% adjustment in the fuel mixture via a Dial in the mass airflow sensor, also I swapped out the stock 318 17lb injectors for some rebuilt 19lb ones. Also there is member on the Turbobricks forum for Volvo’s that makes chips for the 541 ecu. Also for adding boost all I will need to do is swap for the “591” turbo ecu and injectors. 

Edited by Kingryan86

Im using the Bosch LH 2.2 system from a Volvo 240 and it runs great. The MAF (mass airflow sensor) has a correction screw on it so you can adjust it till itruns correctly. The volvo uses 19lb injectors so I just used smaller 17lb ones but might go a but smaller since my engine was stock. But over all it was a simple installation. And you can use the LH 2.2 for turbo applications. Just swap the ecu and injectors and that's pretty much it.

Cost wise, this is how I broke it down

318i manifold, tbi and fuel rail $100

Volvo 240 wire harness, MAF and ecu from junkyard $75 to $100

Linkage $30

Fuel system maybe $100 forget a 318is fuel pump assembly

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

Just swap the ecu and injectors and that's pretty much it.  

Ultimately i think im doing a turbo build so which ecu would get swapped in and what size injectors car is going to be a street car

And what year 240 would i be taking parts off of

9 hours ago, Simeon said:

Can you change the tune that’s installed?

Unless it is ODBII compliant, you burn a new tune to a new chip.  Done that on a M20 325IX Motronic.

22 minutes ago, scatman75 said:

Ultimately i think im doing a turbo build so which ecu would get swapped in and what size injectors car is going to be a street car

And what year 240 would i be taking parts off of

I believe volvo went with LH 2.4 in 1988 or 89. So any 240 between 85 and 88 should be 2.2. You can use the harness from a 740 but it's wired differently. The 240 efi harness can be removed together as it's seperate from all other wiring. 

David G.

41 minutes ago, MAD02 said:

The MAF (mass airflow sensor) has a correction screw on it so you can adjust it till itruns correctly.

Could you confirm it is a MAF and not a AFM?  I don't know of an adjustable MAF, but the AFM is.  Do you have a photo of it.

Hey Jim. Its a MAF. Here's a generic one, but the Bosch unit is exactly the same withthe screw on the left. Later LH verions dont have the adjustment screw.

Screenshot_2019-03-06-07-15-41.png

David G.

You have to make your own. I used a 20 inch Lokar cable to make mine. Works ok but needs adjustment. It's attached to the original throttle rod and mounted to the brake booster mount. Sorry I dont have pics at the moment.

David G.