scatman75

Looking for opinions...EFI talk

90 posts / 2596 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
11 minutes ago, scatman75 said:

Can you elaborate im still doing my research i think 02again.com sells this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most efi controller units out there being offered I.E. Megasquirt sell a 36-1 crank wheel which you adapt to your front pulley. 

I would also suggest finding a Ford EDIS trigger wheel, control module, and coil pack and run that as a distributorless ignition.  Some may say just use a 123 dizzy which is blue tooth controlled but still is driven off of the cam.  

It can become daunting if you try and accomplish too much at the same time.  I would say run the BMW 318I EFI as intended and then upgrade once you get accustomed to the new workings.   

but what do I know. 

Edited by conkitchen

(edited)

Cooler than 318i

Cruise control too.

Buy a blank and mount for the crank position wheel.

All together 03.JPG

Pulleys 03.JPG

Mounted Trigger Assy 01a.jpg

And if you want to go sequential.

Cam Sensor GT101 002.JPG

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

Most efi controller units out there being offered I.E. Megasquirt sell a 36-1 crank wheel which you adapt to your front pulley. 
I would also suggest finding a Ford EDIS trigger wheel, control module, and coil pack and run that as a distributorless ignition.  Some may say just use a 123 dizzy which is blue tooth controlled but still is driven off of the cam.  

It can become daunting if you try and accomplish too much at the same time.  I would say run the BMW 318I EFI as intended and then upgrade once you get accustomed to the new workings.   

but what do I know. 
Solid advice this is the type of info I'm looking for

Cooler than 318i
Cruise control too.
Buy a blank and mount for the crank position wheel.
1448669363_Alltogether03.thumb.JPG.2deefb342eb3c8998a4fafb638dd640f.JPG
584752665_Pulleys03.JPG.3046da036da6ec31327014b1d712beb9.JPG
733584954_MountedTriggerAssy01a.thumb.jpg.72b498eb46c41dd01d9f504be0bf9ecf.jpg
And if you want to go sequential.
2036295057_CamSensorGT101002.thumb.JPG.e89321ad5d5b813e1ccbcfc93eef19b7.JPG
Love it not sure if i want or need cruise control but cool nontheless

Got it.

Patrick at Midnight Motorsports here in Seattle is a EFI build and tune savant. He built up my system for the previous owner of the car and it seems like he's doing a new EFI build on a weekly basis. Suggest you reach out to him if you have questions. He can give you the pros and cons of the various options out there. Also, if you're considering adding a turbo down the road, that's his specialty. Really a great resource for what you want to do. Pic of my build below from Patrick's Instagram account.

James

Screenshot_20181122-201025.thumb.png.5ee88315150fd7feed80c99b492cb5f9.png

• Like 1

Jim's what paint did you use for your intake plenum and rocker cover?

11 hours ago, scatman75 said:

Love it not sure if i want or need cruise control but cool nontheless

Avoids rigor mortis of the right leg when driving across Kansas!

@scatman75, fully read and understand my Megasquirt article here (covers a lot on EFI in general, not just an MS how-to):

Then fully read through and understand Dudeland's recent blog here:

Then think about it and decide if you think either route is a good fit for you/your car.

I will second what @conkitchen said which is crank-fired distributorless ignition is as significant of an upgrade as fuel injection is, and in my opinion certainly worth doing if going EFI.

Avoids rigor mortis of the right leg when driving across Kansas!
Haha need something to get you by out there i cant go 25 feet without traffic where i am

@austrianvespaguy thanks for consolidating in one post, a distributorless system seems like a certainty... I've played enough with the distributor to last me a lifetime lol

I have not converted my 2002 to EFI (yet), but I have done it with my 914.

My suggestion would be to use as many of the stock parts as you can.  The M10 was used for decades, and you can find an EFI intake plenum and the other parts you need fairly easily.for piping and hard parts, don't reinvent the wheel where you don't have to.

If you use Megasquirt (which was the route I went) you will want to use GM sensors both for cheapness and also for compatibility. 

Almost any EFI route you take will be able to run spark.  DON'T do spark and fuel at the same time.  Get fuel running first, and then do spark.  Keep your variables manageable.  I learned this the hard way...

GET YOUR CAR DYNO TUNED.  All the different EFI systems will claim you can tune it with a laptop while you drive.  Which is technically possible.  But its is not easy, and you will have better results on a dyno.

EFI on its own won't make you car run any faster.  It will allow you to dial in the best tune possible for almost any given running situation.  Which means much easier cold starts, much better response up and down the rev range, and a lot more tolerance as air pressure shifts (ie - driving up and down mountains).

Zach

It's fascinating how many variations on this basic recipe we have, even on this thread!

My car has been converted. The actual wiring was a little daunting for me, so I had Paul at 515 Motorsports near me handle that part. I had it tuned by an awesome SCCA race tuner, Jesse Prather, but I've only gotten to drive it maybe 15-20 miles due to crappy winter weather.

That sucker is quick!

My car uses the 318 manifold and an Electromotive ECU and electronic ignition module, Innovate wideband 02, etc. By way of explanation, all this stuff came with my project car when I bought it disassembled in July 2017.

Dudeland's blog wasn't running when I was doing my research, but AustrianVespaGuy's how-to article was a must read, even if you're just trying to wrap your head around the scope of the project.

enginebay2019.jpg

Yes so many variations which is why im looking for opinions seems like using a lot of 318 parts is the way to start