Edsta74

Gas Tank Repair

6 posts / 501 viewsLast Reply

Hey guys.  Took out my gas tank today.  Car hasn't run in about 20 years.  There was some very old gas left in there and when i drained in it was brown and smelled terrible.  Im worried the inside of the tank may be rusty.  I was going to attempt to clean it up and seal it myself, but the gas that came out has me a bit concerned.  Its probably better to have it done professionally. Im in Long Island City, Queens and was wondering if anyone can recommend a shop here in Queens.  Or close by.  Ive attached a pic of the gas that came out.  

IMG_9346.jpg

Check out http://www.fingersradiator.com/

I gave them a call to inquire about my gas tank a few weeks ago.  Very reasonable - like $150 to prep and coat the tank inside and out! They're a ways away from you there in NY, but google radiator shops in your area and give them a call.  Not too many around anymore, but they're still out there. 

I just called Sal. He quoted me $295. Seal and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, Edsta74 said:

I just called Sal. He quoted me $295. Seal and paint.

Sal at Rennsport? 

No Sal from Fingers. From the link you posted. I think I’m going to try to clean it out myself. I’ve seen a couple of write ups where they used vinegar or Evaporust to clear the rust. Then use redkote to seal it.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, Edsta74 said:

No Sal from Fingers. From the link you posted. I think I’m going to try to clean it out myself. I’ve seen a couple of write ups where they used vinegar or Evaporust to clear the rust. Then use redkote to seal it.

Ohh okay, when I called, I spoke to one of the kids over there so maybe he just wasn't aware of the pricing haha. 

If you can get it clean enough then go for it.  Mine's a bit crusty and I'd rather have it blasted and acid dipped to get it cleaned out and then coated professionally. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.