• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery wire...where??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

For those of you who used the E30 cable for your battery relocation, where did you run it through the firewall?? Is there an existing hole that you can squeeze the wire through? I'm always hesitant to cut a hole ANYWHERE on one of these cars... Thanks!

-Alan

71 2002

83 320i

78 323i

Guest Anonymous

Me & Hugo Posting.jpg

URL: http://im4bmw.freewebspace.com/index.html

I am in exactly the same situation.....I have my E30 cable in the driver side footwell waiting for a hole in the firewall to install the connection box.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm interested in hearing it.

Also, on a tii I don't believe the E30 box will clear the tii intake canister (too close to the firewall)...another dilemma I have.

Good luck,

John

'72tii "hugo"

Guest Anonymous

I have seen a guy who ran it out under the car down the drivers rail next to the FUEL LINE zip ties and double insulated but still outside and exposed. I would like to run mine the same way but still lots of folks think its risky. What are the odds that a car gets hit on the side and ruptures the fuel and battery cable then starts a fire?

Guest Anonymous

With the TEP rear strut brace I ran mine thru the trunk wall, along trannie tunnel on Pass side, under seat mount rail and drilled the hole thru the FW to give an easy bend to the starter. I have a keyed disconnect at the brace. My car is not a tii so I'm going to look into adding the E30 connector. It has worked fine as is and the new carpet set disguised the lead with no trouble. I'd recommend that you get the cable size you want to run and take a piece of it to the hardware store. I got grommets that gave a nice snug fit and mounted into the FW with an excellent fit

Guest Anonymous

underseatbatt85.JPG

URL: http://www.zeebuck.com/02bc/index.htm

I think the risk is sufficiently miniscule that I won't lose sleep over it. Having the battery up front is possibly more dangerous since in a head-on it could get smushed and/or bounce around and short terminals and whatnot. Just imagine: acid spillage, hydrogen gas, also near the return line *and* carb with gas fumes, etc. Pick your poison. ;-)

The welding cable jacket is very tough and even if scraped-through by contact with pavement, etc. it would most probably be on the part that does not touch the body metal. As long as there's insulation between the conductor and body, you are OK. The key is to avoid any possible chafing of the insulation over time where it does contact the body (or return line, in my case). Adding a big-ass (250A or so) fuse right near the battery is also a fine idea.

regards,

Zenon

Battery relocation write-up:

Clicky!

Guest Anonymous

-no car maker routes the POSITIVE battery cable OUTSIDE the car - the arguments are too numerous to list.

-and if they did, white zip ties would be the last choice because of light sensitive deteriation . Aleast change to black ties or metalw/rubber cable clamps.