• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hugo's front & rear glass is finally "IN" :-)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Me & Hugo Posting.jpg

URL: http://im4bmw.freewebspace.com/index.html

But it wasn't easy......it took two professional installers and me working in tandem for 2 hours to get both the front & rear glass in place....whoever said it was a 10 minute job for the windscreen was either extremely lucky or full of crap! :-)

The only way we made things work out properly was to install rubber on the glass first, put the rope in the groove on the back of the gasket and place the glass in place on the car....pulled the rope off to seat the rubber on the back, then using Vinylex (the installer had always used silicon for 30 years until today...he "learned"!). We had to gently pound down on the window to "seat the glass".

"Then", install the chrome insert "locking" strip using alot of Vinylex and the locking strip tool with me positioning the bead ahead of the tool as we progressed around the gasket groove....move very slowly when doing this!

It must be much easier installing the locking strip "first" but there was no way...we tried. All in all it looks fine.

Now Hugo's "orginal" windows are back in the car....I just need to remove the scratches on the windshield...from me removing the paint marks put on when the car was in the salvage yard...needs alot of buffing. I figured the windshield survived a hard head on crash without breaking so it "deserved" another chance...plus, it's an old Sekurit windshield, Made in West Germany (cool vintage look!).

We used no sealant whatsoever....and the fit is very tight.

This Holiday weekend I'll be busy reinstalling the side glass and hopefully some of the interior! Getting excited now....:-)

Happy '02ing,

John

'72tii "Hugo"

Guest Anonymous

02f12aaa.jpg

I will be doing the same thing shortly.. where is the best place to get the locking strip tool? What about the locking strip it's self? I have the seals already. My dad will be helping me, he has done many windshields in his time.. it should go pretty well.

Headliner has to go in first, right?

Guest Anonymous

02f12aaa.jpg

I did one for replacing the front sub frame bushings but I never did submit it.. I'll freshen it up and keep notes when I do the windows and submit both of them. :]

Guest Anonymous

OEM gasket, warm weather or garage, dishwashing liquid,lock strip tool, a length of stout cord and at least two people, but three is better w/ one on inside to pull the cord and two outside to put stead pressure at the point where the cord is working its way around the gasket. I've done four now and it's gone pretty smoothly each time. But you do need that lock strip tool.

Guest Anonymous

If you warm the seal and the strip, preinstall the lockstrip, and use plenty of soap (and a little water) the windshield (with gasket pre- installed around it) can be pulled into the car with the ubiquitous clothesline.

Personally, I think this way is easier- seat the bottom of the windshield, then pull it in.

Look at the gasket- it's pretty lightweight, and will deform to let the windshield in. You might work a little harder- but then you don't have to spend 45 minutes wrestling with that gawdawful lockstrip!

So there's more than one way to reglass a car!

;p

toby

Guest Anonymous

I've did it because I read somewhere that that's how to do it. But having done it both ways now I will agree that it's about a thousand times easier with the lock strip out.

Guest Anonymous

it took me two hours to get it in, but the tool was defective to start with. So I used a small spoon, lots of dishwashing detergent and a moderate amount of heat.

After that I did the rear window. I had numb fingers for two days, but it was very satisfying to replace the old faded strip.