• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is oil supposed to get into the oil breather hose and carb??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Oops! - sorry for the double post

I'm pretty sure that I have to rebuild soon, but I need to put it

off for a while. - So I'm reading about that separation of

breather hose from the carb air filter in Macartney's

Restoration guide to prevent oil fumes from mixing in with air

and fuel in the carb and thought I'd try it, but when I get the

hose and carb air filter apart there is proably a tablespoon of

motor oil sitting in the filter area and the filter is pretty

saturated with oil - I'm very new to this, but it seem that this is

totally wrong to me - I'm thinking of putting some cloth over

the breather whole on the motor so fumes can get through,

but not oil - is this an ok solution for the short term? The

motor runs pretty well actually (although doesn't start on the

first crank when hot)????

Any suggestions/ advice - thanks!

Andreas

Guest Anonymous

Some even disconnect it from the air cleaner housing and put a filter on the end of the hose.

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure there's some sort of valve to keep this from happening in the elbow attachment, but it seems to me that the carb is nothing more than a vaccuuum. I would think any negative atmospheric pressure would draw MORE oil out of the valve cover.

I run the little k&n filter directly on the valve cover and it does nicely! Not too messy (I only wipe it down occasionally) and looks pretty cool IMHO. And no oil into the carb. Weber's are sensitive enough, you don't want to go gumming them up with a bunch of oil...

I've even seeen the breather hose just left hanging down over the tranny to just drip at will when needed, I don't like this either...

Bottom line, buy the little k&n filter for the valve cover and wipe it off occasionally.

-----------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE40s (formerly 32/36DGAV)

Guest Anonymous

the end of the piece left hanging from the carb/air cleaner. A Marble worked well for me. Then go AutoZone, Advance, Pep Bros etc and find a little filter that fits the end of the piece coming out of the valve cover. They'll have a big section of them over by the regular air filters. You don't really need a big hose running down all the way like McCartney describes, although that may be preferred.

Anyway, worked fine for me.

Then start saving up for the new or rebuilt engine you'll eventually need.

Guest Anonymous

That makes sense, sometimes the obvious is so hard to see. With the A4 sucking more air, it was also sucking oil too, at a rapid rate!

Guest Anonymous

The best solution is the late model cyclone seperator that removes most of the oil from the vapors and returns them to the oil pan and routes the rest to the carb inside the airfilter to be burned off. The little filters are for V engines that pull air in through the filter on one valve cover and vapors get pulled out the other valve cover to the intake. There is no air coming in on an M10 engine just blowby from the rings coming out so putting a filter on the valve cover really doesn't make much since.

Guest Anonymous

I got a Mr. Gasket oil breather from Napa for around 8 bucks. Cut the hose that goes from the valve cover to the air filter and removed the rubber gasket from the press in style breather. Insterted the breather into the shortened hose and plugged the hole in my air box. Same thing, just a slightly different part and procedure.

Guest Anonymous

Under any circumstances, do NOT plug the breather from the valve cover. I know this sounds elementary, but I know somebody who brainlessly did this. The pressure then forces oil out the valve cover gasket all over making a big frickin' mess!!!

-------

BigDog

Guest Anonymous

I have an ITG foam filter on my Weber 38. TO take care of the crankcase breather hose, I bought a PCV insert for a Ford out of the HELP section at the local supply house. It had a large nipple for the PCV and a small one for the charcoal cannister. I also bought the rubber grommet that the separator assembly snaps into. Ihad to drill a moderately large hole in the mounting plate of the filter, but the grommet and then the separator assembly then snapped right in.

The advantage of this is that the crankcase fumes get sucked in to the carb as they were designed to do. Keeps the air clean(er - well a little bit anyway, considering that these cars spew).