• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No BB in flywheel

kine8282

I have 72 thst has been running well but had to pull the head to address the leaking valve guides. I found TDC using the marks on the cam as well as the position of the cam lobes (both facing down) and confirmed that the valves were both closed. I’ve pulled the head and it’s at the shop getting rebuilt. Anywhoo, since I’ve got part of the motor off I’ve decided to clean everything as well as finally figure out why I can’t find the damn BB on the flywheel. At TDC the view port shows a hash mark rather than the BB. I thought it might be the hash mark right before the OT mark but no there is no OT either before or after the mark. I had to spin the motor to clean the piston heads and have confirmed that there are no additional marks on the flywheel that I’ve been able to see. Any reason why I can’t just get some white out and mark this hash mark and call it a day? 

Here is a pic of hash mark seen through the view port. 

BC4DD77C-1D1B-416D-94CF-AF0CC4F5BE83.jpeg

3 minutes ago, kine8282 said:

At TDC the view port shows a hash mark rather than the BB.

The BB will/would be 25 degrees before the OT line.

You don't really need the BB, as long as you have the OT line and a variable timing light.

(nice clear photo)

• Like 1

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

Many thanks ‘76mint. We’ve got ball! I finally found the bloody BB after a determined search and uncovering it under some crud. It looks like the picture I posted is likely the 180 degree mark from the OT. I quickly reoriented the cam gear/sprocket accordingly since the head is off. I marked the ball with white out to make timing much easier. Off to the next deferred maintenance issue

• Like 2

Usually there's a notch in the pulley on the front of the engine.  If you have a cover on the front it usually has a mark on it as well, a molded bump actually.  A little paint pen on these and it's much easier to time from instead of trying to find anything through that hole...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Correct Preyupy. I appreciate the reminder. I figured that since the piston heads were not completely at the apex of their stroke. Right now I'm fighting the very serious case of "Project Creep". While I have half the engine off might as well...

Trying to keep the impulses on check, easier on the bank account especially right before Tax Day.