HBChris

Red Turn Signals

10 posts / 328 viewsLast Reply

In the US all BMW switched from red turn signal to yellow lenses.  My US 69 2000 is this way and so are 69 2002s.  The question is: did euro 2000s have red as well?  I was told euro cars had yellow, does this make sense.  A friend with a 66 TiLux has red, a 67 2000 has yellow.

• Like 1

(edited)

Thanks.  Funny thing is I once owned a 230SL and worldwide they were red until the 71 280SL in CY 1971 when they became orange.

A friend has a 1966 Canadian delivery 2000 TiLux which is red, another has a 67 2000 and it is orange, don’t know yet if it was a Hoffman import.

Edited by HBChris

Red Turn Signals-- Or White Or Amber

I recall when I was a kid, front turn signals were white and rear turn signals were red.  That's the American specifications for the Peugeot my parents bought in Europe in 1963, although I vaguely recall seeing some amber turn signals that year (I do not remember if they were front, rear or both).  But by the end of that decade, American specifications were changed to allow amber turn signals, I think at first rear and then front. By 1990, turn signals could be amber or white in front and amber or red in the rear.  According to the 2018 version of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 571.108, turn signals now need to be amber in front but can be either red or amber in the rear.

I will remind everyone that if you want to change the color of your turn signal, the easy way is to use an LED bulb that is the color you want: the color emitted may be attenuated but will not change if your lens is a different color.  But of course, the lens color will NOT change so an unlit lens will look as before.  And for Lisa's information, there are some 6-Volt LEDs out there that might fit in her rear taillights, if she so chooses.   An alternative, however, could be 12-Volt LEDs that run very underpowered on 6-Volts but still provide ample light; trial and error is the only good way to check (and also check for proper intensity distribution from all bulbs you plan to change; maintaining the proper intensity at all angles is important for safe conspicuity!).

Larry

Air cooled VW's used amber rear turn signal lenses in European countries.  USA-bound vehicles received red TS segment lenses.   You can mix and match to your hearts desire (most folks do).   i like the amber rear TS, it stands out much better than just another red blinking light on the rear of a vehicle.

Picture I took May 1982.  "Euro-style" lenses were installed on this Beetle.

BugoutMay82.jpg

Jim,  Porsches were the same, a euro model could be spotted by its orange lenses while US got red.