• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on the sale of my Golf 1971 sleeper project.

vespam5

I’m a big fan of your work and your cars. I follow your accounts on IG.

I also believe there is something to be said (positive) about a nice survivor with original paint. Especially if the body is as solid as you’ve stated.

If I had the expendable cash to splurge. I wouldn’t hesitate to drop 20-27k on a car with all the new hardware, motor, interior, suspension upgrades you’ve done. I’m sure there are like minded 02 enthusiasts like me with more money. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

If you get it running, do some paint correction (clay bar, cut/buff, polish & wax) and a good detail then I would say mid-twenties easily-presentation is EVERYTHING.

However, I don't know what the actual condition of the interior's like as you only said that it's black, the dash has some cracks and it has Recaros. If the interior is as clean, original and unmolested as the rest of the car then you should be able to find a buyer very quickly and easily around that #.

If you're up for listing it on BAT that might even yield more, who knows? People get really hung up on certain colors and mods and this car ticks off many boxes for many people. VERY nice build in a very desirable color.

GLWS!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Guys, thanks. my IG account is Dorian_Alfa.

As for the car, there is NO rust other than surface rust in the engine bay below the radiator and near the brake reservoir/master.......in both this cases due to minor leaks of coolant/brake fluid over the past few decades stripping the paint and leaving exposed metal. Here are some detailed photos. All of the surface rust was scrubbed with a dry 3M pad, then treated with Permatex 81775 Rust treatment which neutralizes and seals, a few of the pictures below show the process.

Also please do not confuse brown spots on the firewall with rust, that is simply old glue from the firewall blanket which I have now mostly scrubbed away. This is a dry  SoCal/Desert car through and through...I wouldn't have started with anything less ;).

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2766 2.JPG

Edited by vespam5
  • Like 3

As for the interior...it is all original. The dash has a few cracks, and the door panels are a little shabby. I do not have the original seats but I do have a pair of early 80's Recaro LS seats as well as a pair of GTS classics for it. I will most likely go with the GTS seats since they look more period. I'll post photos of the interior in a few days since it is currently jammed full of empty IE boxes haha.

Once again every area of the car which I visited was cleaned, scrubbed, etc. Every sub assembly I re-built was done with IE parts, a good example is the pedal box which has now been upgraded to ball bearings, and had all the wear items replaced (springs, hardware, bushings, cylinders, rods, etc all powder coated/plated. 

Firewall grommets arrived today from dealer along with all OE German hose clamps, IE full silicon coolant hoses throughout, etc.

I've also slowly been hand de-greasing and cleaning the entire tunnel and underbody (see photos), the chassis is incredibly straight and clean underneath. Also this car has NO underbody damage from some scmuck sticking a floor jack under it! Very clean and straight.

Edited by vespam5
  • Like 3