mjcari

1973 grill bracket help

13 posts / 320 viewsLast Reply

I am trying to put this 1973 tii back together and I do not have the brackets for my center grill. NLA from BMW. I'm looking for the metal brackets. Does anyone have one they can dimension so I can fab one up?

thanks

Thank you, Halboyles!!! The internet is a great place!

27 minutes ago, mjcari said:

The internet is a great place!

You are most welcome!

But actually, I didn't have my internet pencil handy, so I just used a good ol' No 2 graphite one.

(edited)

Harry has them for $25/pr

Edited by Mike A

I did see that thread. I replied to it and 3D printed those spacers on my formlabs printer. It has a nice picture of the bracket too. Thanks

FYI--if the studs on the back of your center grille aren't full length because they were broken off previously by someone trying to remove the grille, the easy solution is to shorten the legs on the bracket until some of the stud pokes through the bracket's center hole.  Also, use a stainless steel nut, and lube it well with anti-seize.  The studs are aluminum and are glued to the grille--soft and vulnerable.

mike

5 hours ago, mike said:

FYI--if the studs on the back of your center grille aren't full length because they were broken off previously by someone trying to remove the grille, the easy solution is to shorten the legs on the bracket until some of the stud pokes through the bracket's center hole.  Also, use a stainless steel nut, and lube it well with anti-seize.  The studs are aluminum and are glued to the grille--soft and vulnerable.

mike

Good advice. I happen to have a new in the box center grille.

5 hours ago, mjcari said:

I happen to have a new in the box center grille.

Lucky you!  Those things have gotten silly expensive!  I'm surprised it didn't come with the brackets.  

mike

23 minutes ago, mike said:

Lucky you!  Those things have gotten silly expensive!  I'm surprised it didn't come with the brackets.  

mike

I bought it like 15 years ago for 67 dollars from bimmer parts co. I know they are pricey now. Its still in the package

Plastic nuts, if I may suggest them, will be gentler on the studs if they ever corrode again.

No, not these:

https://www.neuticles.com/

these:

https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/nuts?attrs=Basic+Material%7CNylon~~System+of+Measurement%7CMetric&filters=attrs

t

• Like 1