wiewir

Unsolved mistery

8 posts / 876 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not native English-speaking; then, first of all, forgive my mistakes.

I own a 1968 1600ti.

I read some books and magazines (and I follow the resources of this forum) but I'm an absolute newbie.

The car was perpetually owned by my family (I'm the grandson of the owner) and never restored; I have to discover if it was repainted or not.

Here's the question: the car's VIN identification plate reports "TYP BMW 2000" (I've observed some pictures of the same that report "TYP 1600").

Anyone could tell me if that was a factory habit? There's a mistake somewhere? Is that normal?

(please excuse the image's quality)

Many thanks for your anwers,

Riccardo

20190127_142338.jpg

Thanks adawil2002,

I will write. I thought they just send infos with an "official certificate" request. I'll give it a try.

(edited)

Odd!

VIN 1588538 is certainly a factory 1600ti. The VIN tag looks authentic, the paint sticker (in italic lettering) looks authentic.

I can only guess that someone pulled the blank metal VIN tag from the wrong bin! Below is a VIN tag closer to what I would expect on a 1600ti. Notice that even the weights on your VIN tag are for a 2000 model: it’s quite simply the wrong blank.

The same VIN should also be stamped (a.) directly into the outer edge of the inner fender at the cowl of the car, and (b.) onto a flat boss on the rear left side of the engine, just over the nose of the starter. Given that these other VIN’s are consistent with the VIN tag’s 1588538, I don’t believe this should ever become anything beyond a matter of curiosity!

Regards,

Steve

E1F58A3A-7C2D-46E3-A920-6C3F040FB871.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

(edited)
On 2/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, wiewir said:

Thanks adawil2002,

I will write. I thought they just send infos with an "official certificate" request. I'll give it a try.

Don’t write. Just send an email with your car’s VIN to the email address adawil2002 provided — or to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com — and politely request their data on VIN 1588538.

Assuming all your car’s VIN’s match, you can also ask, in that email, why your car has a VIN tag from a type 2000, but I predict you will not receive a useful answer or response: they simply cannot know!

Within two business days you should receive an email response.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Many thanks, Steve.

They replied in 8 minutes: a true example of German efficiency:

"The BMW 1600 TI VIN 1588538 was manufactured on November 26th, 1968 and delivered on December 05th, 1968 to Italy. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085."

Next Weekend I'll check the matching numbers and I'll write them again to try solve the VIN's tag mistery.

Regards,

Riccardo

• Like 1

Let us know, Riccardo!

Yours is 132 cars from the end of 1600ti production. VIN 1588670, manufactured in December 1968, is the last of the 1600ti’s.

Regards,

Steve