Scottjeffrey

If it ain't one thing its another. Temp good, tach dead

9 posts / 119 viewsLast Reply

After reinstalling my instrument cluster today, having made a wiring repair from the temperature sensor to to the cluster pigatail, I reinstalled the cluster. The temperature gauge is working fine thankfully, but my tachometers stopped. Checked the connection to it at the cluster and the connections at the distributor. All look fine. The tach by the way, was working fine before the temp gauge wiring repair. Any ideas?Are Gremilns real after all? 

image-ringpunskull-primary-shsresultsetsize.jpg

As I'm sure you've noticed, there are two sets of three prong plugs on the back side of the instrument cluster .  One is for the clock if fitted, the other for the tach.  The unused one should be covered with a rubber insulating plug.  Could you have somehow reconnected the tach to the wrong prongs--easy to do if that rubber plug has died and fallen off.  

Someone on the board should be able to post a picture of the cluster's back side that shows those prongs and plug...

mike

• Like 1

Dumb question; Did you remember to connect the tach lead? It's separate from the cluster harness plug on my car (presumably all square tails)

The black arrow points at the tach terminal in the attached picture (courtesy of BavAuto, for all of your 02 instrument cluster lighting needs)

03F60A49-5B3F-43AE-9655-246C95286C60.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I just pulled the cluster out enough to disconnect and reconnect all connections, not including the pigtail. I had done that already 46 times, lol. But this time, viola,; its working. Don't you hate when something non functioning returns to functioning and you really don't know why?

Best Regards. Its awesome having a community around oneself. It takes a village. Thanks a million.

Scott in Fort Lauderdale

Make sure the instrument cluster fuse is in good condition and has good conductivity to the fuse box terminals. Weird things can happen in the cluster if that connection is loose-ish.

• Like 2

(edited)

On my car it's #12. I think on 6-fuse cars it's #2. EDIT: Nope, according the stickers the instruments are 6 and the illumination is 2.

If there's an in-between I have no idea.

Edited by Jimmy
Correction of fuse number
  • Thanks 1