• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is 1 litre of oil per 200 miles excessive consumption?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSCF0012.JPG

URL: http://www.seamsperfect.ca

HAHA, of course it is, and yes, that's what my 76 is up to these days. Oh well, new motor coming soon! Just thought I'd share, and offer a small warning to folks.

My motor was burning about 1L every 1500-2000 miles last year, before I blew a head gasket. I decided to rebuild the head, replace timing bits, and do all the seals and gaskets while it was apart. My bottom end was quiet, smooth, and burned very little oil. It was exactly 8 months ago that I finished all that work, and the bottom end has been on a steady downward fall since then. I believe that rebuilding the head, without doing the bottom end, was the cause of all this. The rings were the next weak link.

My advice? If you want to rebuild the head, pull the whole damn motor, and do the bottom end at the same time. A set of rings, bearings, and a hone can be cheap, easy, and worth it.

Al

Guest Anonymous

Did you clean the top of the pistons and removed that pesty carbon ? Well maybe that was helping keep the oil from the pistons under control.

Guest Anonymous

My first car was a 47 Studebaker with 98,000+ miles. (Speedometer broken) I packed a 5 gal can of recycled oil with me to top off at every gas tank fill. G