• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOT: Suggestions for a $3k driver/trip car?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Our old Plymouth Acclaim is on its way out -- leaky steering rack, dying passenger axle, cracking engine mounts and a foreboding shudder from the lockup on the transmission. It's not worth enough to fix all of that, but it still looks decent. So we're probably gonna trade it in on something to avoid liability issues.

But any ideas on a decent replacement? Our criteria:

• Four-door sedan or wagon (no SUV, probably not a minivan)

Decent rear-seat space (we often haul around other adults)

Reasonable economy -- prefer 28+ highway.

American with less than 80k miles is OK, Japanese/European better (and would accept somewhat higher miles in those cases).

Automatic highly desired, as are tilt and cruise.

A/C is a must.

Boring but reliable is fine according to my wife, and this is mostly her car.

Basically, we're after something like we have with about 40k-50k fewer miles. We're looking in the $3000 ballpark here in Kentucky. Before you suggest it, she doesn't like the "fit" of the Volvo 740-series seat-pedals-wheel layout, so unfortunately they're out.

Any experience with the reliability or lack thereof of any cars that meet these criteria?

Thanks!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'87 Volvo winter car

'93 Plymouth Acclaim with numbered days

Guest Anonymous

Boring, reliable, easy to work on, easy to find parts, pretty safe, pick em up cheap. Hard to go wrong with a revolvo.....previously owned:

69 142S

84 240 DL 2-door:last year year for 2-door

85 240 DL

84 240 Gl wagon

Guest Anonymous

Based on our economy criteria, I'd probably be looking at an eta car, and probably an automatic.

What's the typical lifespan of '80s BMW automatic transmissions? And it seems that 528s or 325s in that range are higher mileage (150k+); I guess just learn about the problem areas and check particular cars (I already know of timing belts and E28 front-end bushings)?

I'd love to get Ginger in a BMW too. She balked at driving to Florida to look at a Bavaria I spotted, though. A shame... :-)

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

...before I purchased it last year.

Highway fuel mileage is nearly 30 mpg (@ 70mph + cruise).

At 160K, it needs a few things related to steering and driveline, but overall, it's a worthy ride.

:)

Delia

Guest Anonymous

My wife's E30 was a tremendously reliable car. I think I had to sink a grand total of about $500 into it over an 8 year period!!! (not including oil changes)...

-------------

BigDog

'76 2002

Guest Anonymous

...and the etas seem to be bulletproof. My '88 325is, while not an eta, had 211k on the *original* ignition and FI components when I bought it in fall 2001, and it ran like a top. 26mpg around town (stop n go commuting), but that's with the "i" motor that needs some revs to make power. Paul Wegweiser used to have a 325 with the eta motor that I spent some time in...ride the wave of torque up to about 3k rpm and then shift. He saw around 30mpg on his commute, I think, and the thing was stone reliable at nearly 300k miles...needed driveshaft and brakes when he sold it a couple years ago.

E30s are reputed to be less spendy to maintain than E28s...though I do lvoe the styling of the e28...

TIm

'76 2002

'04 MCS almost here!

Guest Anonymous

ecially if you could find one with relatively low miles. The '89 Accord my wife sold to an acquaintance now has close to 200k on the original engine and trans with nothing but basic maintainence, timing belts and a couple of clutches - still looks good, runs fine and passes smog every two years like clockwork......