• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General opinions: I’m about to make my first BMW purchase

Cmalensek11

Hey everyone,

Everyone’s been so helpful on this sight so far I’d thought I’d ask your opinions one last time before I make a purchase. I uploaded all pictures of the vehicle I have, sorry I know they’re not the greatest. Also, no engine pictures but I did go to test drive it. Engine seemed to start fine and ran good from what I could tell, which isn’t much to be honest. Didn’t see any leaks. It didn’t have an exhaust which made it so ridiculously loud I couldn’t hear what was going on with the engine too much. Especially while driving. Checked the vin’s and all 3 started with 278 which I read is an indicator of a tii. But that’s all I really knew to do. Also, didn’t see too much rust anywhere to worry me. Seller would accept $7000. Should also mention I wanted a little bit of a restoration car so I could further my knowledge of cars and learn how to do work on them myself. Sorry for the long post. Just looking for general thoughts or alarming issues I might have missed.

Thank you,

Chad

74A9D72E-45A1-425F-9926-8FCB5DDA916B.png

68B27A91-E35E-4DD8-8EA1-71BBC49029C6.png

2DD6A5B1-DDAA-41AE-9B6A-3BE001367F97.png

F4AE455D-16B3-4108-9B5B-DA9152353F16.png

C8EE76CF-FF38-4F1A-8A05-46916D7BE010.png

434DA734-0D71-45E9-964D-5DD3BA464278.png

CA0B2B46-BEBA-43CE-BF17-720643084ACC.png

Chad,

Check that the same VIN 's are in the following places: A VIN plate riveted to the steering column on top. A VIN plate riveted to the top of the front right fender. A VIN stamped into the front right inner fender on top. A VIN stamped into the engine block, back by the firewall, visible with a flashlight when leaning over from the left fender.

It's a red flag if they don't all match.

Does it have a clock in the dash? Clocks are good for Tii's.

The front and rear fenders look different than stock. The bumper is missing. The seats look to be in good shape. There's rust on the top of the trunk. What's that foam thing in the trunk? Look for rust everywhere. A rusty 2002 can cost you $10K, easy. Don't kid yourself if it's rusty. Trust me on this.

The car feels ridden hard and put away wet to me, based on what you're showing us. $7K is low for a Tii. There's a reason for that I'm sure. Find the reason(s). Before you buy.

I'd go over the car with a fine tooth comb with a mechanic or friend I trust. It could save you THOUSANDS in the future.

Good luck.

Nick

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

You better be happy with pig cheek fenders. That will cost you a bloody fortune to take back to stock.  If it's really a tii then it's a 1974. Clock on the dash, fuel injection bigger brakes etc. No point in having a tii if you don't get all of that stuff. They are really only worth their value if they are mostly original anyway. Did you check the VIN with the BMW archives to find the original color and date of manufacture?

This is only my opinion. This looks like somebody's race/auto cross car that they either gave up on or something went wrong with it. That being the case, they most likely ripped everything out of it that makes a tii worth anything. The color is not my favorite. If you ever go to re-sell the car all these things are going to play a role in that. They put speakers in every one of the door cards! Blasphemy! 

This car needs a professional to do an evaluation of everything. More preferable would be a 2002 guy that has been at this hobby for many years. If it was a race/rally car, i'd be looking at the frame rails etc. Those aren't easy cheap things to fix. 

It this were a car I was looking to buy, I would have seen the fenders and color and just kept driving. But, that's me and I don't like them at all. Some do and that's ok as long as you like it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

Does it have a clock in the dash? Clocks are good for Tii's.

You can see the clock surround in the 4th photo, and possibly reflection off the glass cover in the last photo.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Chad,

With all due respect, it seems to me that you are very nervous (seeing that you now have a few threads asking essentially the same thing) but have an aversion to having a proper PPI performed.  This is a recipe for a bad time.  I recommend you get confident about owning your adventure and/or have a PPI performed.

Given the stock seats and lack of typical race equipment I highly doubt this was every someone's dedicated race or even autocross car.  I see what appears to be a Tii clock poking out.  I love the strips, color, and flares (though that rear transition isn't perfect), this isn't an "investment car" as alluded to in the previous comment.  However, it is a very cool unique car.

The caveat as mentioned in the other thread (and here) is rust.  The 2002 isn't nearly as prone as the E9 Coupe to the tin worm, but peel back some layers and it could get nasty on you quick.

• Like 1

theres definitely rust in the trunk picture as mentioned, I’d get the car on a lift and have a close look. Also ask yourself if you really want to own a tii. They are more complicated than a carb engine and difficult to add hp if you ever decide you want more. 

5 hours ago, Cmalensek11 said:

Hey everyone,

Everyone’s been so helpful on this sight so far I’d thought I’d ask your opinions one last time before I make a purchase. I uploaded all pictures of the vehicle I have, sorry I know they’re not the greatest. Also, no engine pictures but I did go to test drive it. Engine seemed to start fine and ran good from what I could tell, which isn’t much to be honest. Didn’t see any leaks. It didn’t have an exhaust which made it so ridiculously loud I couldn’t hear what was going on with the engine too much. Especially while driving. Checked the vin’s and all 3 started with 278 which I read is an indicator of a tii. But that’s all I really knew to do. Also, didn’t see too much rust anywhere to worry me. Seller would accept $7000. Should also mention I wanted a little bit of a restoration car so I could further my knowledge of cars and learn how to do work on them myself. Sorry for the long post. Just looking for general thoughts or alarming issues I might have missed.

Thank you,

Chad

Have you been in touch with Peter Salzmann to see what he has to say about it?

• Like 1

Chad,

Sienabraun metallic was not a factory combination with a black interior, so I’d guess one or the other was changed at some point. The (free) report from BMW Group Archives will reveal the original exterior color. Send an email with the VIN to them at info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com. But a non-original exterior or upholstery color is the least of concerns for this particular car. I know this seems basic, but does the car still have fuel injection, or is it carbed by now?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

You know, if there's not much rust, a 2002 for $7k that runs these days is a pretty decent deal.  It'll never be a ooo-la-la original tii- but it will give you some freedom to do what you want.  You won't need to worry about everything being original, correct, anything.  Having said that, know that it will probably never be worth big bucks.  But some electronic FI (or carbs), exhaust, suspension, it could be a lot of fun.

This is not an investment car, it's a fun car.  As such, it doesn't matter if it's a tii.  Or if the numbers match.  Dude has a title, right?

Check for rust in the usual places.  If it's rusty, it's a lot of work and your $7k car just turned into a $17k car, for exactly the same car.  If it's not rusty, buy it, slap some exhaust on it and drive it.  Me personally, with that car, I'd probably pull all the Kfish stuff and swap to carbs or electronic FI, because I'd be making that thing a hot-rod!

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Thanks for the responses everyone! The owner did say Peter Salzmann has tuned the engine. And you’d be correct about me being nervous. I have no idea what I’m doing and my only knowledge is google searches. Sorry for the repost(s) about similar info but $7000 alot for me and this has been the only website where I can seem to get reliable info and opinions. I do not have any background with cars nor do I know anyone who does. I’ve been trying to learn myself. Again, appreciate the advice! I need to sit and reflect a little more as I was getting excited which might have clouded my vision a little.

The picture of the open trunk lid sends up a few warning flags...the edge of the drain lip that runs around the forward edge of the trunk opening appears to have more rust than normal, and that the repaint didn't reach that area, meaning the repaint was done with the trunk lid in place.  Probably the same with the hood.  I'd really want to look carefully at the engine room, the spare tire well (with the spare out) and other such places.  Rust in those places but not in the traditional spots (rear wheel arches, rockers etc) usually indicate a car that's been left outside for a considerable period of time without being driven.  Leaves, etc accumulate in those drain lips and start rust.  

Not trying to turn you away from this car, but as has been pointed out, be very sure that rust is minimal (and not structural at all) and that major mechanical systems are all good to go before you plunk down your $$$.  And if you don't feel knowledgeable enough about 2002s to make that determination, have it inspected by an '02 expert.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 minutes ago, Cmalensek11 said:

I need to sit and reflect a little more as I was getting excited which might have clouded my vision a little.

And...don't get buck fever!  88000 2002s (and another 12000 1600s) were imported into the US, so there are plenty out there!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

15 minutes ago, Cmalensek11 said:

Thanks for the responses everyone! The owner did say Peter Salzmann has tuned the engine. And you’d be correct about me being nervous. I have no idea what I’m doing and my only knowledge is google searches. Sorry for the repost(s) about similar info but $7000 alot for me and this has been the only website where I can seem to get reliable info and opinions. I do not have any background with cars nor do I know anyone who does. I’ve been trying to learn myself. Again, appreciate the advice! I need to sit and reflect a little more as I was getting excited which might have clouded my vision a little.

Have you contacted Peter to ask him about the car?

What is your short term and long term plan for this car? Project? Reliable daily transportation? Second car? Only car? Is your goal to modify the motor for more power or would you rather have the motor stock?

What about this particular car for sale is appealing to you?

• Like 1