Mpower5266

Package tray help.

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am in the process of removing all the speakers a previous owner put in my 73 2002.  Of course they hacked up the package tray and it looks like they made a cover or recovered the original cover.  This is what I pulled out of the car. 

47129253191_8d97675560_b.jpgIMG_6872 by Nick  Wood, on Flickr

I was wondering what the package tray cover would have looked like originally on a 73 car.  I have this cover from my 74 project and will use it if it looks correct.

47077021772_edc184f3d6_b.jpgUntitled by Nick  Wood, on Flickr

If not I guess I can get some light plywood, cut one out and cover it in black vinyl.  Any other suggestions? 

flat vinyl covered, no pleats like the one from your 74

19 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Masonite/tempered hardboard might be a consideration vs. plywood.  The original material was very thin.

Do you have a source for masonite/hardboard?  I wanted something I could cut with an exacto knife but I cant find anything.  I can get very thin plywood from work, so that is an option.   

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/domplywood2.php

Do yourself a favor and rent/buy/borrow a jigsaw and use masonite. Or at least waterproof plywood with epoxy resin or similar after cutting to shape. The back window is super prone deforming cardboard and wood like that with all the condensation the glass collects, and your package tray will swell oddly.

Another option might be 3/16" sintra or PVC, which can be cut with a sharp heavy bladed utility knife such as an Olfa. Local sign shops should have scraps of that that are too small for them to use, but perfect for this project.

51 minutes ago, Mpower5266 said:

Do you have a source for masonite/hardboard?  I wanted something I could cut with an exacto knife but I cant find anything.  I can get very thin plywood from work, so that is an option.   

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/domplywood2.php

Free from work is always good!  Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Amazon all carry tempered hardboard panels.  0.115 - 0.125 thick.

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Free from work is always good!  Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Amazon all carry tempered hardboard panels.  0.115 - 0.125 thick.

Oh wow, it looks like my local Lowes has it, and its located right next to Hobby Lobby for vinyl.  I think i will do that. 

• Like 1