• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 BMW 2002tii fender flare question

Cmalensek11

Hi all,

looking to buy my first BMW. I went to look at a 1974 2002 tii and everything seemed to be in order. However, this was one of the very few I’ve seen with fender flares (I uploaded a picture below). I guess my question is are these styles more or less desirable than the normal body style? Is there anything different I should check for when pertaining to this type of fender flares before I purchase? 

Edit: I upload all the pictures I have. If anyone has any general thoughts about this vehicle it would be much appreciated. Engine did start and seemed to run fine with no leaks that I could find. Seller would accept $7000

Thanks,

Chad

4E2D2DD5-1BD3-48B9-9EB3-89169D7DBAC5.png

1B2CA34C-FBB6-461E-B7B5-6AA15FD9D784.png

9983B9BF-E93C-4C3F-9426-828C9AEC7C25.png

698FD3F5-FA17-4779-887C-D0E15CC57C30.png

070A3E45-DCC8-4280-B146-09BF187A6759.png

EF337E48-125D-47B5-BD56-2AA0B9C93833.png

2F0A1AC6-0C29-45CB-BDC0-C1CBF39448F0.png

Edited by Cmalensek11
More pictures and information

It is a matter of taste, some people love them and some, not so much. 

If you are asking about will they impact on resale values then the simple answer is yes. 

The slightly longer answer is 'it depends upon how well they have been done and how the overall package appeals to a smaller subset of potential buyers who might be looking for a modified car.  They look like a good package from that one photo, I wouldn't let them put me off if I was buying as long as they are well executed.

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Per and Tim at Grassroots Motorsports built a great Tiaga turbo-flared 2002tii (jeez, it's already been eight years ago).

https://classicmotorsports.com/project-cars/1972-bmw-2002tii/

"Desire" is in the eye of the beholder.  Are you buying it to flip it, (therefore caring only what others think) or are you buying it to enjoy for years to come (therefore caring more about if YOU like it or not)?

All variations of the 2002 maintain their values well when TASTEFULLY modified.  The photo you posted appears to be a flare over a box flare (flare squared?).  Check for general quality of the work done.  Opting to use knock-off wheels and retain the big bumpers are negative indicators, but the fact they retained the upper trim line is a positive indicator.  NOTHING replaces a proper PPI inspection though.  I'd HIGHLY recommend having one done before plunking down moolah.

Edited by AceAndrew

Thank you both so much for the quick reply. Both responses were very insightful. I’m buying for myself to restore and don’t mind the fender flares. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something that would significantly decrease the originality/value of the car. It was the first time I’d seen those exact ones so just became a little skeptical about them. I feel a lot better now though. Again, thank you.

Some further pictures of the car would help ?

While everything can be undone (for a price), bolt on modification is favoured as it can be easily undone (particularly if you keep hold of the stock parts). Things involving cutting of bodywork are the most frowned upon but if you are only shopping for you then you will be the best judge of what you like. As Andrew says, the quality of the execution is the main thing. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The heavy work in flairs is in the rear. The fronts are generally a bolt on replacement fender. It’s easy to have a lot of money tied up in the execution of the flare. If you go look at the car in person, look up under the rear flare and see if you can see remnants of the original fender. Was it trimmed and welded? Was it crudely cut and maybe pinch welded (or worse riveted) together? How were the flares bonded to the body? My car uses the stuff Audi glues A8 together with. I think they were 268 a cartridge and we used 3 of them. 

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

14 hours ago, Cmalensek11 said:

Thank you both so much for the quick reply. Both responses were very insightful. I’m buying for myself to restore and don’t mind the fender flares. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something that would significantly decrease the originality/value of the car.

you are conflicted.  if buying for yourself, then something that affects the value of a car is irrelevant.

2xM3

I suppose if one were trying to arrive at a fair purchase price, modifications that affect value may play a role. I've seen the car advertised that he's considering and the seller was asking $7500. If it's a complete running tii without significant rust it's probably worth it if someone wants a restoration project. No pictures under the hood or of the underside of the car.

2 hours ago, mlytle said:

you are conflicted.  

Pretty sure most of us are, here...

heh

t

for 7500, if it runs ok and isn't a rusty mess, it's ok

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL