jgriffin

1974 Malaga 2002

8 posts / 1847 viewsLast Reply

(edited)
Price: $12500

Description:

After almost 4 years of enjoying this little car i think its time to let it go to someone else that will enjoy it as much as i have.  I thought i would try here first rather than posting it on craigslist.  This 1974 Malaga has been an Oregon resident its entire life.  It was owned by the original owners in Lake Oswego until roughly 2012, where it then moved to Tillamook for 2-3 years, and then was brought back to the Portland area by me about 4 years ago.  I have a folder full of receipts for everything that has been done to the car back to 1978.  Most of the work was done at Saltzman Motors down in Wilsonville OR.  The engine was rebuilt about 50k miles ago, the transmission was rebuilt with new bearings and syncos, the rear end was replaced with a different unit after a spider gear failure (does not leak a drop out of the seals) around the same time.  The suspension components were replaced by the previous owner with eibach springs and bilstiens on all 4 corners.  When i bought it the Redline 32/36 had about 1k miles on it and i have since put about 10k more miles on the car.  Since I've owned the car I've replaced the front calipers and pads, and also replaced the sunroof cables and seals.  The headlamps have been updated to replaceable halogen bulbs.  I updated the alternator to the 90 amp 1984 318i unit.  The car is wearing its original paint on the hood, trunk, and above the chrome belt line on the rest of the car.  Being that it is original paint it shines up very well but quickly will fade and become dull and dry looking.  The RH rear quarter was replaced in the mid 90s due to "rust" according to the write up following a small fender bender replacing the rear rubber pad on the bumper at Kadels bodyshop here in PDX.  Judging by the rest of the car I'm not convinced the work needed to be done.  Front floor boards, fender wells, and rockers are all the original undercoating and are rock solid.  There is a small spot under the rear passenger seat, bigger than a credit card smaller than a pop tart, that was patched by the owner before me attributed to a leaking sunroof drain.  The RH wing window whistles when traveling at speed, but i have an entirely new assembly(new to me but not NEW) with a new seal to fix that, but i just haven't gotten around to opening up the door panel.  I have new clips for all the panels in the car and plastic dowels to replace the shaker door release rods inside.  Other than that the car drives really well and i get comments whenever i take it out.

In addition but not included in the price i happen to have acquired a large amount of parts for the car because i thought i was going to megasquirt the car and install a 5 speed.  The parts include:

Getrag 245 OD

Stahl Header 1 3/8th tubes ceramic coated by Finishline here in PDX

318i intake manifold

New 318i fuel rail without cold start injector (and new pressure regulator)

318i throttle body as well as a 325e throttle body (probably the perfect size if you aren't planning on making more than 150 hp)

New 320I manifold coolant bypass tube

New 318IS fuel pump, and fuel sender with gaskets

New 3 wire PWM bosch idle air controller

New front pulley with EDIS wheel from Tom at 02 again with Dist block off and EDIS sensor mount

New 4 Bosch 21 lb injectors for the manifold

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting i just need to look through my box of parts!  Let me know if you have any questions I'm hoping this car finds a great home with someone who can love it for many years. Will attach pictures when i make it to another computer.  I am in no hurry to sell. 

7BAFB131-4E68-42E1-9364-4D3829380200.jpeg

A7A7B7DC-A21E-4CBA-AEA4-A0FAF496F924.jpeg

CC1CD1DA-FE19-491A-85E5-33F22EB49A88.jpeg

19F711D3-DCA6-4E99-BAE0-22BB151A7BF7.jpeg

777B0A68-3C32-4582-AE5C-AE9A64082DB5.jpeg

Edited by jgriffin