• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina diff cover threading

Ian

I've got an e21 Alpina diff cover that's got a port with a mystery thread pitch.  This is not for the fill or drain plug.  It's on the side, perhaps for a temp sender?  I cannot figure out the thread pitch to plug it.  An m14 bolt is a bit too large, and an m12 is too small.  I can get a 1/2"-13 bolt in and catch a couple of threads, but then it jams as if the hole gets smaller.  So I though perhaps its pipe, like what a lot of temp senders use.  But a 1/4" NPT plug is too large, and a 1/8" is too small.  

Can someone enlighten me to the mystery thread pitches from the late '80's, before I resort to TIG welding or bubble gum to plug this opening?

Diff_port.jpg

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

It's an original Alpina, so I'm assuming it was made in Germany.  Thus my tests with metric bolts first.  The AN option is interesting, I'll have to see if I have a fitting somewhere.  The problem is that it is now on the car, so I can't just drag the cover to a store and plug in everything I can find.

Alpina - 1.jpg

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

I just repaired a lamp for a friend that had a previously unknown thread to me. It sounds very similar to what you describe and it was 1/4 straight thread NPSM.  There are a lot more plumbing thread sizes than i knew ! I could just thread a 1/2-20  (fine thread) bolt into the hole with a VERY sloppy fit. 

c01d-howtoidentifyyourthreadtyped1-digit

1 hour ago, uai said:

It's for a Temp Sensor

So probably Metric Fine thread
M12x1,5 or M14x1,5

For M12x1,5 you can try a bolt from the Front Brake Caliper
M14x1,5 you could try a Sparkplug

Unfortunately, I tried an M14 x 1.5 and it was slightly too large, and the M12 was too small.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Blunt and Paul Wegweiser suggested that it might be British Pipe Thread.  So I went to my local hydraulic hose supply store and we figured out that it might be a 1/4" British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT).  That size does indeed thread into the fitting in my diff cover.  However, the threaded portion is 0.6" long, and I can only thread about 0.35" until it stops.  So I’ve got half the plug exposed.  

For BSPT threads, is it reasonable to crank half the plug in, or am I still off on the threads?  Anyone have experience with the BSPP (British Pipe Thread, parallel instead of tapered)?  Could this be BSPP?  The option of re-threading is possible, but you can see what Alpina did was sleeve the cast aluminum housing, so I don’t have a ton of material to thread.
Ian

Alpina_Diff_BSPT.jpg

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

If you look at that chart i posted, there are tapered and straight versions of that thread, i wonder if a straight thread fitting would work better.

Can you verify if the hole is straight or tapered ?

Have you tried a 1/2-20  size bolt ?

Edited by Lorin
  • Like 1

If yours is an original (weren't there repops made in eastern Europe) just give Alpina a Call to send you an Oil temp sensor.
(And re-thread accordingly)
Most VDO Sensors are M12x1,5 and M14x1,5
Unfortunately there was a sensor installed during scanning otherwise I could take dimensions from my Cad model (which is 1/100 mm accurate btw).

BSPT we don't use but it might be BSPP G1/4"  that's standard and it's between M12 and M14.

https://vdo-webshop.nl/de/34-temperaturgeber/s-3/funktionalität-öltemperatur
https://www.rennsportshop.com/de/fahrzeug-technik/anzeigen-elektronik/geber/oeltemperaturgeber.html

Edited by uai

1 hour ago, Lorin said:

If you look at that chart i posted, there are tapered and straight versions of that thread, i wonder if a straight thread fitting would work better.

Can you verify if the hole is straight or tapered ?

Have you tried a 1/2-20  size bolt ?

Good point.  I can get a straight version of the plug in BSPP (British Standard Pipe Parallel).  It's hard to verify if the hole is tapered as it is on the car.  Worst case scenario I remove the diff cover for forensics.  I'm really hoping the BSPP fitting is the answer.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

26 minutes ago, uai said:

If yours is an original (weren't there repops made in eastern Europe) just give Alpina a Call to send you an Oil temp sensor.
(And re-thread accordingly)
Most VDO Sensors are M12x1,5 and M14x1,5
Unfortunately there was a sensor installed during scanning otherwise I could take dimensions from my Cad model (which is 1/100 mm accurate btw).

BSPT we don't use but it might be BSPP G1/4"  that's standard and it's between M12 and M14.

It's an original Alpina.  Unfortunately, getting ahold of them from the States has proven to be a little difficult.  But I can source a 1/4" BSPP plug locally, so am hoping that is the answer.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT