Least Aerodynamic

CAD Models

42 posts / 1832 viewsLast Reply

46 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Do you think these could be imported into an aerodynamic analysis software like open foam or other free software packages?

Don't know.  Easiest is to research the file formats acceptable by the analysis software packages.  I just looked and Hum3d appears to export in many formats.

6 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Do you think these could be imported into an aerodynamic analysis software like open foam or other free software packages?

You probably could but you would need them as shell or solid models. Been a few years since I've dabbled with STAR-CCM+ but can remember the struggles of simplifying overly complicated parts. As long you can open it in a CAD software, then you should be able to convert it as needed.

8 hours ago, Einspritz said:

Yes.  A lot of 3d solid modelers have a basic fluid flow application as well.

We have a front line 3D laser scanner, (Faro S70), which we'd be willing to deploy on this effort for very reasonable cost. Located in the PNW. I would be curious about using the model for some aero tweaks I have been contemplating. Perhaps I could scan my '72 if there'd be an interest in the full data set produced?

(edited)
33 minutes ago, tii1on said:

We have a front line 3D laser scanner, (Faro S70), which we'd be willing to deploy on this effort for very reasonable cost. Located in the PNW. I would be curious about using the model for some aero tweaks I have been contemplating. Perhaps I could scan my '72 if there'd be an interest in the full data set produced?

I could get in on this- split the cost and share the data?

STEP, IGES, something Solidworks-able?  Probably even an .stl...

Edited by irdave

Solidworks chokes on the amount of data produced by the scanner but we should be able to export in a manner friendly to the product. I am on out of town a project now so will check back in a couple weeks. I'd like to get mine up on a lift and get the undersides too.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, irdave said:

I could get in on this- split the cost and share the data?

STEP, IGES, something Solidworks-able?  Probably even an .stl...

Hey irdave I've been working with tii1on and the Faro scanner. Yes we definitely can get STEP, IGES, or other Solidworks compatible files. Lots of file options. Our best option would probably be a surface model like you mentioned because we have some nice software to help make it, but we can also give the raw point cloud data. Easy to reduce the file size so that Solidworks can handle the point volume, but of course this will reduce the resolution.

3 hours ago, JakeCAD said:

Hey irdave I've been working with tii1on and the Faro scanner. Yes we definitely can get STEP, IGES, or other Solidworks compatible files. Lots of file options. Our best option would probably be a surface model like you mentioned because we have some nice software to help make it, but we can also give the raw point cloud data. Easy to reduce the file size so that Solidworks can handle the point volume, but of course this will reduce the resolution.

Nice.  I just tried working with an stl file, converting it to a solid.  Kind of pain.  But any solid that'll work in SW would be great.  The stl would be fun to print, but the solid to mess with for fluid / aero simulation.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks.

irdave, if you had access to some decent fluid modeling software, I'd have an interest in that. Perhaps a trade can be arranged.

3 hours ago, tii1on said:

irdave, if you had access to some decent fluid modeling software, I'd have an interest in that. Perhaps a trade can be arranged.

Nothing special anymore.  Used to do some big work using Converge, but that was a while ago.  I was just going to use the flow simulator in Solidworks.  If you want to get into it a bit, Openfoam is open source and decent.