chago997

Any rally lights restorer out there?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello, can anyone recommend a person who can restore vintage auxiliary lights?

I recently bought from another member a set of Hella 2000 vintage rally driving lights that were in decent shape.  From the photos on the ad it seemed they had some mildew on the inside which i have been able to clean on other lights i have without having to open the lens.  These more recent one, upon trying to clean the mildew, seems to be more of corrosion pits on the metal reflector along with mildew on the seal area of the lens/housing interface.  Perhaps the reflector coating needs to be redone, is that possible (plating?).  Here's a picture of them, it's the one on the background, with spots.  Anyways, thought there might be an expert out there that can restore these.  thanks

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.50.21 AM.png

I have a pair of very good ones if that is an option

There is a fellow on the early 911 forum Jaudette I think his name is.  This is what he does, beautiful work  Check him out

• Like 1

You can buy spare parts for older Hella lights. If you have a look around you may be able to find modern lenses and reflectors that fit your old shells. The lights haven’t changed much in years. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, stephers said:

There is a fellow on the early 911 forum Jaudette I think his name is.  This is what he does, beautiful work  Check him out

Googled it.. here's his website.  Very nice to know... I wish I would have known sooner!   ...not cheap, though...yikes

http://www.audettecollection.com/h4-refurbishment/

Ed

Edited by zinz

A few years ago, contemplating purchasing a pair of Marchal Amplilux lights with mint lenses but peeling reflectors, I found a U.S. firm and a U.K. firm that did reflector re-plating regularly. They were both in the region of $350 to $400 a pair depending on just how bad the reflectors were. At the time, I could still find a mint NOS set of Ampliluxes for $400 to $450, so paying $200 for the pair of Ampliluxes with bad reflectors and another $400 for re-plating didn’t make much sense....

I would look for NOS or excellent parts for these Hella lights, even if it means buying another light or lights with, for instance, a cracked lens but a great reflector.

Regards,

Steve

restoring reflectors isn't too hard. plating make the most sense as the older light bulbs will generate heat. they don't look too bad in the pic, have you attempted to hook them up to see how they perform?

IIRC, reflectors on these lamps is an electrostatically deposited aluminum; don't believe it's plated.  This process provides a much more reflective surface than plating.  I can understand why restoration would be so expensive as the depositing equipment is pretty expensive. And if your reflectors are rusted it's gonna be almost impossible to make 'em good again--the metal is very thin and really can't be repaired.

mike

• Like 1

You might also want to contact Daniel Stern. When I purchased used Euro headlamps for my 2000, it was recommended that I get in touch with him regarding refinishing the reflectors. He sells bulbs, headlights, auxiliary lights and relays, and also provides advice. Unfortunately, I don't recall who he recommended to restore the reflectors and ultimately I didn't have it done. His contact info is below. Good luck. 

Brian

dastern@torque.net

Daniel Stern Lighting

• Like 1

In germany we have quite a lot companies doing PVD mirroring.

It's fairly easy any not too expensive if there is no pitting in the reflector. Once you have pitting it will cost you factor 4-10 if it's possible to re-mirror.

https://www.reflektorklinik.de

Edited by uai
  • Like 1