• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need advice 1976 purchase

Crashgordan

21 hours ago, worzella said:

Tangential but a question... said uncle bought car when stationed in Germany but vin tag says 2002/2002tii USA

Did US servicemen/women buy from some US dealerships in Germany. Just curious why this wasn’t a homeland Euro model

But I suppose knowing it was heading to US the dealer provided US model

Or maybe the good ole days where you could knock on BMW factory door and maybe buy one direct??

Just curious - Randy

During the ‘02 era, you couldn’t buy a Euro version if you expected to take it back to the States, unless... you were willing and able to pay for the “Federalization process”. “Federalizing” a single Euro-spec car was far more expensive than buying the U.S. version. You would also be on your own to arrange shipping, although most people Federalizing Euro-spec cars went through an agency or company specializing in the processs — and, you guessed it, charging a fee for said services.

At the same time, multiple organizations were permitted to sell brand new (U.S.-spec) cars to U.S. servicemen serving abroad, providing very substantial discounts and generally facilitating transportation of the car back to the States.

There were certainly some exceptions to the “buy U.S.-spec” rule, but besides bumpers, sidemarkers, instruments, license plate lights, etc., the Euro-spec engine in that Euro-spec model was going to be subject to private testing and certification — that you were paying for — and it wasn’t going to even pass!

So, 99% went with U.S. models.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Look for an under hood sticker that states about complying with the Feds.  If done at the factory, it will be of the BMW style stickers.  Sometimes on the drivers door.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

It wasn't quite like that in Italy. My wife's grandfather was there in the 80s working for an American company. When he was getting ready to leave, he talked to a dealer about ordering a new car and taking delivery of it in Italy, then having his company cover the costs of shipping it to the states. This worked out to be much cheaper than buying the new car in the states when he got back.

So he picked out what he (his wife) wanted, and the dealer tried to talk him out of the automatic transmission. After losing the battle he said he would try to order it but he wasn't sure if he'd be able to get one. He gave grandpa a loaner to drive while the new car was on order.

After about 6 weeks, Grandpa called and wanted to know what was going on with his new car. The dealer asked him how he liked the loaner. Grandpa told him it was fine, but that's not why he called. The dealer sounded disappointed and said he would get back to him. Weeks passed.

Finally the dealer called back and said "I'm really sorry about this, I hope you understand. I tried to pull some strings, but the rule is if you want a handicapped car, you need a letter from your doctor stating that you're handicapped."

In Italy, cars equipped with automatics were reserved for handicapped people! 

???

• Haha 4

If you are feeling like you don't need another project it is probably because you don't need another project,  and this is a project. 

Do yourself a favour,  help him sell it.  I have a 1975, not a super desirable year, but still worth a good chunk of change.   For me, it was perfect for a resto-mod.  It had the turbo body kit on it already, so I don't feel bad doing what I am doing to it.  A roundie is a whole other matter. 

If you are in  FOMO mode, then pay him what it is worth for its parts  $2-3K, take it home.  If you can salvage it, then great.  If not, sell the parts on the forum and help out others, the car will live on in its parts. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

11 hours ago, worzella said:

Tangential but a question... said uncle bought car when stationed in Germany but vin tag says 2002/2002tii USA

Did US servicemen/women buy from some US dealerships in Germany. Just curious why this wasn’t a homeland Euro model

But I suppose knowing it was heading to US the dealer provided US model

Or maybe the good ole days where you could knock on BMW factory door and maybe buy one direct??

Just curious - Randy

ok.  very good question.  

Spoke w/ Uncle last night about the car and this very question..

Seems i apparently misunderstood the story.  He was in Germany and upon return, purchased the car stateside.  

This makes more sense and I apologize for the inaccuracies of the opening story.  (and I will now update the opening post)

Edited by Crashgordan
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

update: (and from the dead, so to speak). 

Uncle passed about a year ago.

We never did finish the car convo, but his sister who is executor of his estate was aware of the convo.  She reached out and we agreed on a fair price.

She's happy it will stay in the family and loved. 

It will be moved to a dry storage for the next year while I get a shop built. 

Haven't exchanged cash and title yet, but i'm excited.  Wife doesn't know.  yet.  

Thank you to all above for great perspective and advise.  

If this project ever gets going, i'll update.  

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wife doesn't know.  yet.

heh.

I have never done this...

t

Not divorced.  yet.

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Recommissioning a car requires enthusiasm, patience and persistence. 

Research about these particular cars from the various publications previously mentioned to include a Haynes manual or if the owner has the **blue binder BMW shop manuals.*

Try to locate the orange pamphlet owners manual that most people usually don`t read only to find out things break without knowing it which $uck$  trying to learn on the fly...Might be in the glove box or google etc..

Locate any service or major service history records. 

Learn to find parts through the realoem.com website for assembly order and identifying parts numbers to use for researching lowest pricing on parts shopping through the dealer or online parts vendors. Yes, there are parts still available at the dealer but they are dwindling and a plus factor when asking for parts at dealer parts counter. 

Using DIN approved fasteners and quality parts is always a safe idea. 

Using the search box and project blogs in this FAQ site can yield a vast amount of info but do not be afraid to ask.

Once you get to the baseline you want to be with the car enjoy it.  Who knows you might want to take it to the next level. 

Lastly, there are agreed value car insurance that help you recover some/all losses due to an unfortunate incident.

Good luck!

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

there are agreed value car insurance that help you recover some/all losses due to an unfortunate incident.

Absolutely, get your negotiating done before you need it.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Having just gotten my ass kicked by a driver's front floor replacement on an otherwise good car.  I can't imagine having to replace rockers or quarters. 

I have replaced the bottom 6-8 inches of a VW beetle ( except for the tunnel), including the front clip firewall and the whole shebang.   I would instead do that, then have to futs with an 02.  The fumes were crazy coming off it when I welded it. 

I would think long and hard before I took on something that had too much to do on it. I would have someone else do it (if you can find someone)  or dip the whole car and have a go of it. 

P.S mine was a California car and only rusted by the driver's footwell because Vancouver is technically a rainforest, and I didn't check to see if the carpet was drying. 

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002