dlacey

Gearbox Numbers

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

On my turbo 4sp there's a number stamped on the bell housing on the flat section adjacent cylinder head:

IMG_20190209_072456-1587x1190.thumb.jpg.f1b37b1f429642b6680dd6896e177c5a.jpg

Is that meaningful?

(edited)

Just the Getrag serial number. I don't think BMW recorded them. Although they did for the earlier cars like when they changed from the Porsche to Borg Warner synchronizers.

Edited by jgerock

I don’t know if there are any specific markings on the Turbo 4 speed that will tell you if it is a real one.  The easiest way to check is to pull the output flange and compare it to a standard 2002 one.  The splines on a Turbo 4 speed are 2mm bigger and a standard flange will not fit.  

I found that the /3 refers to the 242/3, a strengthened box.

Mine is 000918 / 3 which to me is the 918th box and is kinda close to the SN of 1053.

Any other correlations of the SNs of transmissions and VIN?

I have not found where this transmission was used in any other application, BMW or otherwise....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Einspritz said:

000918 / 3 which to me is the 918th box and is kinda close to the SN of 1053

Mine fits that pattern...gearbox 708 in chassis xx732.

Thanks...I a minded to change a few oil seals if it's not too difficult. Otherwise I will just drive it & see how shifts/sounds.

My box had about 90K miles on it before a shim on the input shaft got torn up.

As always, for high mileage transmissions, I recommend buying the parts now for future use. I am trying to find more of the special (more robust) input shaft bearings...split outer race with brass cage which is good to 10K rpm. Be prepared to spend upwards of $2500. for parts including the layshaft. They are not the same as the standard 242 4 speed.

And too, i use XamaX gearbox fluid formulated and sold by Precision Automotive Research which cures all of the balkiness of the synchromesh. Been using this for over 20 years and can vouch for its performance in Getrag transmissions..

Pm me if you need help.

I guess those numbers would make sense combined with the cars they are in because not every car was a 4-speed.  Interesting.

And I would surmise that the transmission number should be less than or near the SN.

It would be interesting to know how many were made.........

So we might guess that 24 of the first 732 cars had CR 5 spds, and a further 111 of next 321 cars had CR 5sp... of course many assumptions here, but it looks like the alternative gearbox got more popular...but if it continued at that later rate then about 338 out of 1672 cars got the 5sp....meaning the Strengthened 4sp is a very rare box with only ~1330 ever made.

(edited)

I’m sure it is more rare than the 5-speed given the 5-speed was available in cars other than the turbo.  I’ve read there are a couple different versions of the CR box available in the Turbo (according to the m registry) but I’d have to see both versions to know for sure.  

Edited by wkohler