grizzlebar

Help needed - burning oil

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

All, need some quick help. Working on my mother’s 2006 Land Rover LR3 which was throwing a P0441. Most sources point to needing to replace the PCV, which I did. Now it is putting out inane amounts of smoke from the exhaust. Any assistance is appreciated.

5 hours ago, ray_ said:

I think you need to look again at crankcase ventilation. Maybe you got a bad pcv or boogered something up a bit.

An interesting read here.

https://blog.bavauto.com/21369/bmw-n54-oil-usage-crankcase-ventilation-pcv-repair/

Cheers, 

Ray- when did they start installing the N54 in the LR3?

• Haha 1

They should, Jim! 😁

I thought the crankcase ventilation theory could also apply here 😎

Cheers,

Unless the LR3 motor is a turbo, the N54 case is not particularly applicable. Normally aspirated motors are easier to deal with, as there is no need to worry about keeping boost out of the crankcase. First thing to do is pull the fault codes. After that, put a vacuum gauge on the crankcase (spare oil filler cap, drill, install nipple, mount gauge) and see what's going on in there. I suspect the vacuum spec is pretty low, low enough not to register on a standard InHg gauge. If you get no reading, build a slack-tube manometer and check again - you'll get a reading, only this time in InH20, which is far more precise with small pressure differentials. In any case, get this info and report back. I can tell you the next step is very likely to be a smoke test on the motor.

If you're really bored and want to see what I went through figuring out a similar consumption issue on my old M54, you can read what became an odyssey of discovery: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1629018-Oil-consumption-after-CCV-replacement