• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Isolation Switch

SydneyTii

Guys has anyone found / come up with a good idea for battery isolation, especially one that inst associated with a battery relocation.

I would like to keep my battery in the engine bay, for now, even though I have a Tii,

I have one of those fiddly ones that mount / disconnect at the battery terminal, and its a bit of a pita,

I just need to be able to have a quick and convenient way to stop the parasitical battery drain that occurs. Cheers. 

I installed a lever-type D/C switch onto the neg post in my tii.  Exactly what I needed:  easy to turn off/on, easy to see if on/off, and works quite well.  No drain.  Search Google.  I found installation exactly as your see it below was the only way to get it to work with this battery, this air filter, and this location.  You might find another workable install.  My preference was a nice, compact red turn-handle, on/off switch; however, I could not find a place to put it in the  bay without drilling etc.

Sidenote:  I keep a thick 4-inch section of split pipe insulation wrapped around the pos terminal to keep wrench/watch welding and burns to a minimum.

Larry

images.jpg.e293f924d9cb48775c6595a5f63c9db1.jpgOMD53973.thumb.jpeg.5a7e8885c4a755026fd7ef966e7dd5dc.jpeg

642151952_OMD539732.thumb.jpeg.8b8347d9da18a90d56f92d9ae0fab174.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a plan (which of course I have not done much to progress beyond buying parts) to add a 60A circuit breaker between the battery and the large 6mm2 feeds that come off the loom at the front radiator panel and connect to the battery positive.  This will also allow me to isolate all of the circuits to the fuse box (though under my scheme there could still be a parasitic draw from the alternator as that and the starter motor would all be on the unprotected side of the breaker. 

My breaker is the same as this (but 60A)

https://www.autoelec.com.au/bussman-circuit-breaker-dual-battery-100a-amp-12v

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I have used the Pollak brand rotary switches on my MGB's but they have a bulkhead and hidden batteries.

The quick disconnect style here seem easy, I was just going to do a battery maintainer but I forgot about the mice chewing wires while in storage. Good idea to disconnect and with the ones below or the Frankenstein switch you can have your hardwired tender in place.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/individual-components/battery-disconnect-switches/

image.png.38a001c30497de833d40cc6ae97e9425.png

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Guys has anyone found / come up with a good idea for battery isolation, especially one that inst associated with a battery relocation.

I would like to keep my battery in the engine bay, for now, even though I have a Tii,

I have one of those fiddly ones that mount / disconnect at the battery terminal, and its a bit of a pita,

I just need to be able to have a quick and convenient way to stop the parasitical battery drain that occurs. Cheers. 

Some of the disconnects are a fire hazard and interfere with charging at best. Why not keep it on a battery tender? Then your clock will keep time and you don't have to monkey with your wiring.

When I moved the battery to the trunk I ran the cable down the left side and popped up through the floor behind the driver's seat under the edge of the rear carpet and used a race car shutoff with the removable key. Solves the problem and adds security. Open the door, lift the corner of the carpet, turn the key.

7 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to install a switch but your reasoning is a bit odd. Why is the battery draining? As these cars have basically no electronics it sounds you might have a fault that should be fixed. Clock and radio memory should not drain battery except maybe over winter. In that case removing battery post and a re-charge shouldn't be an issue. Or do you have some appliance that connected to continuous power? Maybe that should be connected in a different way.  ...Just giving it another thought

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

8 hours ago, 2002#2 said:

I installed a lever-type D/C switch onto the neg post in my tii.  Exactly what I needed:  easy to turn off/on, easy to see if on/off, and works quite well.  No drain.  Search Google.  I found installation exactly as your see it below was the only way to get it to work with this battery, this air filter, and this location.  You might find another workable install.  My preference was a nice, compact red turn-handle, on/off switch; however, I could not find a place to put it in the  bay without drilling etc.

Sidenote:  I keep a thick 4-inch section of split pipe insulation wrapped around the pos terminal to keep wrench/watch welding and burns to a minimum.

Larry

images.jpg.e293f924d9cb48775c6595a5f63c9db1.jpgOMD53973.thumb.jpeg.5a7e8885c4a755026fd7ef966e7dd5dc.jpeg

642151952_OMD539732.thumb.jpeg.8b8347d9da18a90d56f92d9ae0fab174.jpeg

Thanks Larry,

i like the look of your engine bay, it's got lots of sensible approaches to everyday problems, like the double insulation on the pump fuel pipe from the filter I assume because it's so close to the snorkle for the air filter, having a Tii as well I know the challenges of it, and the cable ties through the gromet fixing holes to hold the loom, all of which I've done, not only were those captive mounting ties a pain to find, Jaymic has them now, but at one stage they were silly expensive given what they are!

Does the lever fit nice and tight in the down position as our roads in Aus leave something to be desired. Lovely engine bay btw. 

Andy L that's not a bad idea.

Arizona neither is the race car idea, I quite like being able to just do it from the drivers seat, mind you it would have to located so it couldn't be accidentally knocked!

mgben, I have one of those now, it's a pita to keep screwing the thing in every time I want to use the car, especially when the thread gets a bit older.

Simeon....... again not a bad idea.

Tommy, fair point, it's for security as well, but mostly isolation, having a Tii there are sometimes challenges on start up, and let's say I have the perfect storm of not using the car for a few weeks (yes I know use it more, it doesn't happen often) I find the battery a bit lower and after a few cranks the juice in the battery gets a bit lower, not bad but you need all the help you can get!!

I had the alternator checked, it's good. I think my clock may do it, it doesn't run well, so if I can isolate the battery, not only do I have a bit more security (not much granted) I can stop the drain. The long term plan is replace the clock with my newly rebuilt one and swap in my rebuilt warm up regulator on the pump.

As usual thanks for all of the great responses, you guys are always so helpful. Cheers.