mvliotta

Trouble finding battery with proper ledge

37 posts in this topic Last Reply

Well, it's official... I'm an idiot.

Forgot to put my battery on a maintainer and it's dead. 

So looking for batteries that allow for the hold down on the short side for my tii. From articles here, looks like the Exide 26rc and the bosch version are the ones to get, BUT can't find either near me. One option is to fork over $90 for shipping (if there are any to be bought in the US), but that sucks.  Any suggestions?

Come on Vince, it's 2019. Anti gravity Lithium Phosphate. $225. Weighs 3 lbs. Hold it down with a rubber band for crap sake.

20181208_135419 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Surely there's asource for Exide batteries in NJ--did you do a web search for Exide batteries?

I've used group 26R batteries from Wal Mart and Rural King both, and with a small wood shim between the battery and the inner fender the OEM hold-down will grip those batteries just fine.

mike

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, NYNick said:

Come on Vince, it's 2019. Anti gravity Lithium Phosphate. $225. Weighs 3 lbs. Hold it down with a rubber band for crap sake

I won’t lie Nick, I have been thinking about putting it under the seat. Do you have a ‘how to’ on what you did?

The space up front without the battery seems luxurious!

..or go with it in the stock location. Which model did you use?

Edited by mvliotta

1 hour ago, mike said:

Surely there's asource for Exide batteries in NJ--did you do a web search for Exide batteries?

Plenty of regular 26r to choose from, but google search came up empty for an exide battery (with the lip) within 100 miles of me. 

Did not think of the wood shim idea..could do that as well. 

(edited)

Vince,

I initially decided to remove the battery tray (and A/C btw) to free up room in the engine bay and relocate the battery to either the trunk or under the rear seat. I never really liked the look of the trunk location and have read the various threads questioning the usefulness of those strut bars, both front and back.

I decided on the 'under the rear seat' location, which required heavy duty (1/0 gauge) cable to minimize voltage drop. The trunk would also. Since this is a run of about 12-14 feet by the time you're done, it's not as light as I would've hoped. It weighs about 6 oz. per foot. 

During that time period I became aware of the Lithium Phosphates. Porsches guys have used them for a few years. While more expensive, they seem dependable, safe and incredibly light. I took the chance and installed one (as shown in my picture) in my tii. It weighs 2.8 lbs!!! It measures about 7X6X3, inches!

One of the priorities in my build has been reducing unnecessary weight. This fit the bill and saves over 30 and maybe even 35 lbs over stock batteries. I could've saved 6 or more lbs had I not run that cable to reach my rear seat. I did that expecting to relocate a full size battery and also the accompanying weight shift to the middle of the car. Two birds with one stone so to speak.

Had I known I was going to use a Li-Pho I would've just put it in the engine bay and saved the cable weight. That's what I think you should do. For maybe $50 more battery dollars, you'll save 30-40 lbs and not have to relocate any cables. Easy peasy. You may have to modify the connectors, but that's a piece of cake.

By the time I'm done, I'm going to save maybe 200 lbs. Not bad. "To go faster, add lightness."

Good luck. 

Nick

20181208_135419.jpg

20181231_125547.jpg

Edited by NYNick
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, mvliotta said:

I won’t lie Nick, I have been thinking about putting it under the seat. Do you have a ‘how to’ on what you did?

The space up front without the battery seems luxurious!

..or go with it in the stock location. Which model did you use?

I used the 480.

The battery that my dad and I found for his Tii is the front starter battery for an ‘08 Mercedes CL550. But, it’s a little bit smaller, and requires a regular 2002/E21 hold down.

The best alternative that I can find in the US is to find the original small size battery for a second generation modern Mini. So say an ‘08 Mini Cooper. The hard part is, that while these come new with a perfect size battery, the replacement is a group 47, even from BMW/Mini. Yet, while there are only three main battery companies that sell in the US and none of them sell a proper battery for the 2002tii, there are still some small marine type battery shops that can get or build the correct size battery for the 2002tii’s... I just saw a customer’s 2009 Mini Clubman with the perfect small battery from a battery builder in Sausalito California, Arc Batteries.

Another alternative is to find a friend in Europe who can help you... The European battery manufacturers still list and sell proper fitting 2002tii batteries. Likely due to so many small cars that American buyers just don’t understand. That’d be Bosch and Varta batteries.

Hope this helps,

• Like 1

(edited)

I believe the Exide Classic 26RC remains available. It’s the right size for a tii and has a shelf for the factory hold-down on the short end.  It’s just....expensive, nearly $300 for a new one (plus shipping, I gather from Vince’s research).

The second photo shows the battery in my ‘73 when it still had its sticker, removed in the first photo.

Regards,

Steve

B99DBFBF-865D-47F3-8FF0-44078C36F706.jpeg

3CD719FD-BECF-43B4-B34B-AD3E0493920F.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

as was said..its 2019....give up the need for a wet cell, huge, vented battery that spews rust inducing acid.

but...don't need to go expensive LiPO route....just do a search in this forum on "AGM". tons of threads on the use of inexpensive and small AGM batteries in 2002's and how to put them under the rear seat.

you don't need a high power one, nor do you need to use that heavy 0ga wire.  i have been using a 220cca, 15lb AGM under rear seat with 2 ga wire to run my M2 for 7 years.  zero issues.

• Like 2

Not Lithium, but still much lighter and thinner than what was in there before. Hold down is a work in progress but hasn't moved anywhere yet. Can't seem to remember the size code for it right now. 

image.png.11d05129d1ce09f921af5e4f6d1ee4d9.png

• Like 1

I got an Exide 26rc from Tractor Supply about a year ago. Cost about $115 including $15 for a special order.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I got an Exide 26rc from Tractor Supply about a year ago. Cost about $115 including $15 for a special order.

Vince,

There’s gotta be a Tractor Supply near you. Stop by and see if they can order one.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

There’s gotta be a Tractor Supply near you. Stop by and see if they can order one.

Thanks Steve. There is a Tractor Supply not too far, but, just called and it turns they stopped carrying the exide batteries 4-5 months ago. 

I’m leaning toward the lighter batteries now, given the weight and space savings.

It is so cramped  with my current set up as I have the e21 radiator and fuel filter smashed against each other. Rather than relocating fuel filter to rear, figuring the small, modern batteries may be the way to go. 

As Nick has done, looking at these:

247FC5E3-BD0F-4476-ADC7-243E006C99BC.jpeg.57bac744a910f5596bf835ecb3352ea9.jpeg

82B8C874-A94D-4CA9-AEDD-B4AA3FDD772E.jpeg.b923f0d215bee68451e12e62175e9478.jpeg

Soooo small and light! Thinking to place on the stock battery tray and be done with it. 

Main difference between the two is amp hours (14 vs 22?) and post type. Amp hours can’t be that important for my car as I don’t have AC or even a radio!

Is there a good source to buy (and learn about) connectors for these different posts?

• Like 1

Vince,

Don't rule out AGM's per Marshall's suggestion. They're cheaper, although certainly not as light but still at least half the weight of regular lead acid types. Plus, you need a special battery tender for Li-Pho batteries. You can't use normal battery maintainers.

The connectors at the end of your wires would be simple loop type. If you look at this picture, you'll see my ground cable attached to the battery. This had to be a BIG connector because the cable is so thick but still, I just crimped it using my hillbilly method of bolt cutters to crimp the connector. So, you could just crimp your new connectors. Make sure you put some shrink wrap on there first. You can get these loop connectors anywhere I think. They just have to fit your cables.

Nick

20181229_145446 (1).jpg

• Like 1