• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 2002 Auto Project not running

silvercolud1960

Price: $5500

Description:

I have a 1976 2002 Project car with mild rust not running. I picked it up in Jacksonville. It has been in storage for 6 years. It's in need of a good home someone to care for it.

I will be moving within the year and have no time to tend to it's needs. To many other demands on my time. It's a repaint Malaga 021/306, matching numbers VIN 2392208. One bolt left in flywheel and the motor will come out.

352-489-6009

00m0m_cXlGMfeW0rc_1200x900.jpg

00N0N_aMsY25jcEzv_1200x900.jpg

00808_8a06miZjldf_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_aHIBhfdYPqM_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_3F8Ccdg9jEV_1200x900.jpg

00o0o_fnE0LSF8zq5_1200x900.jpg

00808_cF3ez6HzBjZ_1200x900.jpg

On 2/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, Conserv said:

Paging Seth, paging Seth... ?

Regards,

Steve

I'm late to the party. Looks like a slick top, not a sunroof car, and I'm not sure about AC. (I'd like both.) That said, I looked when the initial post went up, and I'm not sure what the right number is on this car, for me, and don't want to insult anyone with a low bid. I'd have to get the car to NY, so figure $1K for transport, at a bare minimum. (It's probably over twice that for a non-running car, where you're trying to put parts inside, and where the engine is about ready to come out with just a bolt.) Assuming I was just around the corner, in FL, there are still a lot of unknowns. The engine doesn't work, what does it need? (Can it be fixed, at all?) Is the tranny usable? How's the suspension? It's hard to know any of those on a non-running car. Add to that the typical variable of rust that you can't tell with any repaint. Without having restored one of these cars, myself, what's missing? Everything could be there, or there could be some strange bolt missing that's impossible to find. There could be great answers to all of these, to be clear, but for me it's still a gamble.)

I'm not looking to threadcrap, as this could be a great opportunity to go all out and drop in an M20 and run with a high end restoration. Or even for a shadetree type to wrench on it himself. The automatic apparently makes it easier to drop in a 5-speed manual, to someone interested. (Which is why Autos are hard to find.) Others will also like Malaga on Tan. (I'm being sincere. It's just not my taste.) To me? I don't know if I want to spend another $40K for a car too pretty to beat on, or $25K for one that's imperfect but a fun drive. (Again, those numbers may be low. If I bought a car with a busted engine, going more powerful than an M10 wouldn't be a question. FOR ME.) I've got a number in mind that'd include me redoing all of the mechanicals, full interior, and a bit of bodywork, but I probably wouldn't take that number, myself, if I were the seller and confident of, or capable of doing, enough of a renovation to sell the car to someone else for a higher amount. If the OP can't sell it and is willing to drop the price quite a bit, I have a bid for anything. 

• Like 1

It’s $5,500 and “inop”. I’d bet all offers are welcome, Seth! For a person who wants to do an engine swap, hey, it’s got a good body!

The reason automatics are rare is not simply because they’ve all been converted to 5-speeds. Automatics were just plain poor sellers among ‘70’s 2002’s. In 1975-76, BMW NA started mounting OEM alloys on new 2002A’s, as they sat in the U.S. Ports of Entry parking lots, piling up faster than BMW could sell them. The alloys were offered free or heavily discounted, as a buying incentive.

If, in the late ‘70’s, you saw a square taillight with late OEM alloys, you could bet it was a 2002A and win the bet 9 out of 10 times... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The engine Quit on the prior owner he placed the car in storage after a tech told him the engine needed a rebuild he had 2 newer BMWs and thought he would get to it later.

he had been driving the car for a few years and told me there were no other known issues.

He and his wife loved to take it out on the weekends. He had no tech skills. I was about to replace the bearings but there was a death in the family and We inherited lots of shop tools with no room in my garage it was placed on the list; now we are about to move and sadly it won't be coming along.

20190209_114059.jpg

Edited by silvercolud1960