• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch "stutter" when engaging lower gears

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I only really notice this when going into first gear from a stop. But,

unless you do it juuuust right, the clutch feels to slip (and shudder) a

bit. You can sometimes power through this, or use the perfect

combination of clutch and accelertor and it wont happen. Seems to be

worse on hills. Is my clutch on it's way out? Or does this sound like a

master cylinder or slave issue? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

8-2609881.JPG

worn out clutch pressure plate surface & springs, friction plate is crap, throw-out bearing grease is history , T-O bearing sliding tube galled, dry, dirty and causing crummy sliding action of T-O bearing, rear trans mount non existant (look in upper right pic box), motor mounts got-to-be rotten as well. Order up all these parts and plan some quality time with just you and your car . Oh yea, , possible flywheel machined surface is toast and might need refacing , or worse.

Guest Anonymous

Ouch. I think I'll order the clutch kit from Bav Auto, and I might as well

drop a good 4 speed in while I am at it, since mine is funky in 2nd

gear.

Guest Anonymous

and you can probably knock it out in a day if you're well prepared. It took me one weekend to install the transmission, shifter, and driveshaft, and my work ethic leaves much to be desired.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

Really? Cool. Did you need any special tools (ie, impact wrench, etc?). I plan on doing the entire clutch assembly, all seals, mounts, slave cylinder, etc. If I could do this in a weekend that would be awesome!

Guest Anonymous

alot more stuff to repair while in there.......

plan on more time than weekend due to discovery.

Guest Anonymous

Just the usual. You'll need a set of retaining ring pliers to do the clutch slave properly, and an 11mm flare nut wrench for the clutch hose. You need some way to hold the flywheel still while you do the clutch bolts. (search the archives for good ideas) Get the parts to rebuild the shifter before you start this... it's a million times easier with the whole thing out of the car, and totally worth doing. Don't even try to get the tranny back up with the shifter attached, take the whole shift platform off then put it back on before you put the driveshaft back on. If you think you'll need to do any exhaust work, now's the time for that, also, because you'll need to drop the resonator to get the tranny out. (at least I did). CD is right, you should allow for extra work to be needed, but theres no reason you couldnt get it done in a weekend if you work dilligently and are WELL PREPARED. Oh, check your guibo, also. But don't be scared about using your old one if it's in good shape, you CAN get the bolts back through without the band around it.

Matt

Guest Anonymous

You will want to replace the seals on the back of the tranny, they leak, plain and simple. It's an easy job, but you will need a 30mm thin-wall deep socket in order to get the nut off the output shaft. Hope this helps!

-Alan

71 2002 (Gathering parts for the 5 speed conv.)

83 320i

78 323i

Guest Anonymous

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. Sounds like a pretty big project,

but doable. Of course, there's the whole flywheel resurfacing issue.

Sigh....gonna be a busy couple of weekends I think.

Guest Anonymous

its out. How many times will you drop the trans? Probably/hopefully just this once. Fix everything you can while its out!