mccusername

early Alpina carbs

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

Here is a used but complete Alpina kit like the one in the publicity photo with a pair of  Solex sidedraft 40 and the neat one piece intake for 3 Series. The kit survived intact.

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 1

@Flunder Thanks for all the pictures! These are a great reference for my period correct build. 

I have read that Alpina used the factory linkages from the 1600ti and 2002ti, but these look more like the common 'interlink' used with Webers. I would not be surprised if they used both.

For actual use I think I would like the later one-piece manifold and the DDHs, but the older equipment looks better on my '67.

Actually Bovensiepen's racing experience convinced him to use the center pull cable linkage as the most reliable.

i like the feel of the OEM BMW ti linkage better but that view was not shared at Buchloe where their thinking aligned with the old endurance racer's mantra "in order to finish first you must first finish."

Before BMW even made their first "Ti", the 1800ti in 1964, Alpina made its first kit for the BMW 1500 to bring it up to par in horsepower with the newly introduced BMW 1800 in 1963. When the Neu Klasse 1600 4 door came out , they applied a similar kit for that car and later to the BMW 1600-2. The early kits lacked the cylindrical air cleaner box since it wasn't yet available.

Ben of 2002 AD fitted one of these very early kits to his BMW 160 Cabriolet. They were jetted and set up for the otherwise stock motors.

http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=975&start=10

I have the 3rd edition of Gerd Hack's period piece on tuning called "Autos schneller machen", originally written in 1968. In my edition from 1970, there is a picture on pg 285 from an Alpina brochure or ad (it only says that the Bovensiepen Company offers equally useful/expensive accessories), which oddly enough shows Weber DCOEs mounted on a complete engine and what appear to be Solex DDH's lying loose next to a cylinder head (but with a one-piece manifold), so both seem to have been on offer in parallel. In the text though he writes that "Bovensiepen verwendet für die Alpina-Anlagen ausschließlich Weber-Vergaser" or Bovensiepen uses (present tense) Weber carburetors exclusively for the Alpina Induction Systems. He goes on in German to say that Schnitzer was producing a Solex setup, which could be purchased via Koepchen (for 980DM German marks).

These are all pre-Kugelfischer times, none of the pictures in the chapter show the one-piece manifold on a head. The pictures are not great, they are B&W but I think the hoses coming out of the carburetor bowl covers on the ad point to a Solex. If so, probably they would not be marketing the PHH which BMW was selling at the time.

I don't have Hack's book on the 2002, so I don't know if the details there are juicier and the pictures better.

Andrew 

@John 

That is an interesting sheet, with all the items to up a 6v 1600 to a real cruiser. Interesting that they kept the narrow tires, but put them on 5.5 inch rims. I have XAS on 5.5 inch rims and they look odd. Looks good in the picture though.

Andrew