• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cooling system help please..bmw 102

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Fix one thing and another breaks...

finally got the blinkers working and now my temp guage goes from cold (first start of the day), to the red zone in .8 of a mile. arg

i just changed the sensor guage and it did the same thing.

Could the thermostat be closed shut?

the water pump stuck?

or where do i start this new adventure??

tia = Thanks in advance 8)

Guest Anonymous

First off, if your temp gauge is in the red, DON'T drive the car until you have some idea why. .

First off, check that your gauge is working. Find the temp sender and disconnect the wire. Look at the gauge. Then ground the wire to the block and look at the gauge. You see the needle going between full cold and full hot.

Second, be sure you have the air out of your cooling system. With the engine cold and off, remove the radiator cap and turn your heater on high (temp not the fan). Fill the radiator and try squeezing the upper radiator hose. You're trying to get any air bubble burped out. Turn on the car and repeat.

With the car running and near temperature, feel the bottom radiator hose. It should be hot and almost as warm as the upper hose. If they are not, your thermostat is suspect.

Let us know how you get on.

John N