• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Also put the nose on

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

DSC01045.JPG

Big day indeed! First time the nose has been permanently mounted to the shell in several years. Felt good stepping back and have a look at it. Much more 02ish now.

Guest Anonymous

You are a month of ahead of me as I just cut my old nose off. Have bought the new nose and is waiting installation.

Was there any fit issues?

Peter

74 2002

Guest Anonymous

DSC01045.JPG

The nose was the one I had taken off this car. It was a replacement that suffered from a half assed install. but I knew it had fit, and was lucky that it was an earlier replacement nose without the quality issues seen in some of the more recent noses. See the archives about those, I don't know the details.

For tips, big clamps (seen in the pic) are a help to pull the nose tight.

Sheet metal screws are a necessity IMO, but be careful that you don't get a lip from the screw cutting a hole on the first panel that pushes the second panel out completely avoiding any chance of pulling both together flush. You either have to keep the panels forcebly together while drilling, or get something thin in there to knock out the lip (former is much prefered).

As you have probably read, alignment is an issue. Maybe it is because I have a panel that had been in place before, but I don't really understand where one would align a nose. The nose has very little room to be moved when fit tight where it needs to be welded. There is a mm or two of fudge room, if that from what I could see. The replacement drivers fender has an issue with the pointy tip above the indicator little too high (a flaw from the stamping). It goes up a little right at the point when it should be flat.

Again, my nose had been fit before. Maybe there is a lot more that would need to be done in the alignment area for a new nose. You definately want to put you fenders on before making anything permanent. At least you will get an idea of where there are issues. Not sure what could be done to move the nose though.

hth

Guest Anonymous

Many thanks for that - I noticed after that you have an earlier nose (pre 74) while my new one is for a 74 with the new bumpers. That is where the issue arises - the nose is welded on to some flat corner steel that in turn is welded onto of the steel where the shocks are inserted - trying to figure this one out. Again, thanks for the advice.

Peter