02TurboMI

E12 Rear Hub on 2002 Rear Axle?

15 posts / 510 viewsLast Reply

Anyone ever put an E12 (5x120) rear hub on a 2002 rear axle? If so, please enlighten me how you did it. Thank you!

It won’t fit easily, the 2002 axle is 28mm in diameter and the E12 axle is 30mm and steps up to 40mm for the inner bearing.

But man has flown to the moon so with a enough money and talent it can be done!

HA! Didn’t know they were that different. Good to know now. Any other 5 lug hubs for 28mm axles?

Interesting idea    Brgs for a 2002 are 28 X 58 X 16 inner and outer, E12 are inner 30 X 62 X 16, outer 40 X 80 X 18   so to make it work in a 2002, you would need a 30 X 58 X 16 and a 40 X 58 X 16     Have to check at a bearing supply house if you could get bearings in this size BUT   are the shafts longer in the E12 than the 2002 plus will the inner E12 flange work with 2002 CV's ?     The set up in an E12 is kinda opposite of what a 2002 set up    Stub axle on the 2002 comes from the inside out with a flange on the outer side, E12, the stub axle goes in from the outside and the flange is on the inside.   Still, an interesting idea

(edited)

I looked into this some years ago. Didn't find it feasible.

I'm not saying it's impossible to fit some other BMW 5x120 hubs to 2002 rear, but afaik nobody has found an easy solution yet.

Edited by Tommy

What if...tii rear hubs...filled and redilled? I've got a nice set of 5x114.3 BBS RS that I don't want to fill and redrill, but more than that I want some beefier bearings in the rear for my turbo build. I'm trying to beef up all the weak parts of this things driveline.

There is no seperate E12 rear hub, the hub is part of the stub axle and they use a removable CV Joint flange on the inner end of the axle. The E3 and E9 axles are the same way.   Just for comparison here is a 2002 and E12 stub axle next to each other.    Like Jeff said, you can do anything with enough money.   

P1170554.JPG

P1170553.JPG

18 hours ago, stephers said:

Interesting idea    Brgs for a 2002 are 28 X 58 X 16 inner and outer, E12 are inner 30 X 62 X 16, outer 40 X 80 X 18   so to make it work in a 2002, you would need a 30 X 58 X 16 and a 40 X 58 X 16

Where do you find this kind of information!?

If you want a beefier solution, then just go with a 2002 Underground rear-end. Ken offers a version that includes beefy axles/bearings.

• Like 2

Here are pictures of our solution available in 4x100 or 5x120.  These will work with our rear subframe and a 188 medium case e30 differential or a stock subframe with a e21 differential.  Not the inexpensive solution, price starting at $3,230.00 IMG_6177.thumb.jpeg.d11cf57f8d1b7ec9810fe0699798e85d.jpegIMG_6176.thumb.jpeg.6e43a236ffba73ad51ccf9e447889722.jpeg

• Thanks 1

...and you get disc brakes!

heh

t

(edited)

Ken, that looks amazing, but definitely above my price range.

Any other recommendations for 5-lug options in the rear?

@Ken do you offer a 5-lug hub / brake options?

Edited by mmbingo

7 hours ago, mmbingo said:

On our trailing arms you can use our 5x120 hubs with e30 m3 brake parts or possibly other reasonably sized aftermarket brake kits.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mmbingo said:

1. Fill and drill your current hubs is the cheapest.

2. Convert your whole rear end to a factory E30 rear end is 2nd cheapest. See Catuned.com 

3. Have hubs made from scratch, this is way more expensive than you think.

4. Buy Ken's setup,  Very complete and looks great.

Solutions 2 and 3 are your best bet if you are looking for strength and new wheels for your turbo build.

Solutions 1 and 3 just get you new wheels :)

• Thanks 1