• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 1969 2002tiK Kompressor

Jeff

2002tiK

Dieter Quester driving the factory BMW 2002 had won the 1968 European Touring Car Championship by just one point to the privateer Helmut Kelleners in his Porsche 911. The 210 horsepower engine in the 2002 was equipped with a 43mm Schnitzer slide throttle and kugelfischer fuel injection. Alex von Falkenhausen head of BMW competition engines knew this was not going to be enough power to win the 1969 season against the 225hp 6 cylinder twin spark plug Porsche or the supercharged Autodelta Alfa Romeo GTA-SA making 230hp. In December of 1968 von Falkenhausen came up with the idea to add a KKK turbocharger to the 4 cylinder BMW engine, Engineer Paul Rosche was tasked with the development of what would become the 300 horsepower M14 turbocharger engine. This was also BMW's last official effort to race the 2002. 

The 1969 300 horsepower M14 engine to power the 2002tiK 

M14 Competition Engine with  TurbochargerBMW M14 Engine

BMW M14 Engine

1969 Factory Turbo Racing Engine

2002 tiK 033

The 2002tiK used the larger E9 side loader differential and the ZF 18/3 transmission  

2002tiK Assembly

The 2002tiK cockpit with the turbo boost gauge to the left of the tachometer 

2002tiK Cockpit

2002tiK in the race2002tiK 1969 SPA 24hour

2002tiK 

The start of the 1969 Spa 24 hour with Hubert Hahne taking off after qualifying 2 on grid 

The start of the 1969 Spa 24 hour

The complex fuel system of the 1969 2002tiK     

View full article

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Made lots-o-power, but didn't last long.  I believe those motors suffered from ' severe detonation ' ....intercooler's weren't part of the equation then.  But hella fast for the laps they made - sort of a tortoise and hare thing I think.  Interesting they were using the cast aluminum upper timing covers then with the mechanical tacho drive off the pump.

I think it needed more fuel pumps...

I wonder if there was a requirement to retain the stock tank,

or if that's merely 'it's already in there' thinking.

I do like the method of retaining the stock fuel cap, as well.

t

726223987_Fullscreencapture314201584125AM.thumb.jpg.0d0b323e717f691f89da8955e5d44f66 (1).jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

No idea on the tank, but guessing it was a convenient way to get extra capacity, keeping a cut up version of the original and then adding on a pretty substantial extra tank above.  No idea on the capacity but had to be +100L (or whatever the rules allowed).  I was looking at that as well, lotsa fuel pumps.

Made lots-o-power, but didn't last long.  I believe those motors suffered from ' severe detonation ' ....intercooler's weren't part of the equation then.  But hella fast for the laps they made - sort of a tortoise and hare thing I think.  Interesting they were using the cast aluminum upper timing covers then with the mechanical tacho drive off the pump.

They were certainly hand grenades, but if the engine didn’t let go they typically won

I’ll bet the ignition switch looked a lot like the pin from a hand grenade.  They also ran 13x8” front and 13x10” rear wheels and if I remember correctly they weighed 1850 lbs. 

I talked to Dieter a few years ago about this car and the thing he remembers the most about it was the incredible turbo lag!

Edited by Preyupy

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I find it interesting that they removed the distributer and have the direct drive right off the end of the cam. I wonder what they did with the gear drive at the end of the camshaft to attach an ignition rotor. Probably all in a quest to reduce engine detonation with more precise ignition timing.

5718c94d2a71c3189de77eb99fb2ee05.jpg

6042393772788af51ac93a3291b7fdcf.jpg

Somewhere I have an image of what that looks like - there is a finely splined gear that fits on the end of the camshaft that the rotor fits on to, the cap appears to be the same as well used on my Schnitzer motor.  Those caps are expensive....+$800.

22279750_2157018730990306_5371082127049863023_n.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Preyupy said:

I talked to Dieter a few years ago about this car and the thing he remembers the most about it was the incredible turbo lag!

I found two ways to ameliorate that on the track. One was to know how long it took for the turbo to come up to boost, e.g. a count of three, then while braking for a turn be ready with the accelerator and open it up that many counts before you exited the turn where you planned to accelerate. It was all in the timing......and so counter to that of a naturally aspirated engine.

Or on higher speed corners, you could left foot brake  "just enough" to set the car all the while on the throttle. But you need very good brakes, which I suspect they had.

Proper gearing of course, always comes into play, which I never had.

On another note, I remember the vintage races at Sears Point / Sonoma Raceway where the 2002s ran with the Camaros and Mustangs. While those were faster on the straights, the 2002s would drive right around them on the corners. It made for interesting back and forth between the cars.

• Like 1

You're not David Hobbs, are you?

He talked about driving that era of cars that way, too.

Nowadays, there's an injector that shoots fuel at the turbine to keep it spooled up...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have driven a 924GTR lately and the lag can only be described as EPIC!  Braking for turn 5 at Laguna Seca entails going down 2 gears (non sequential, Syncro box) and trail braking on turn in at 50% throttle and timing it all so 26lbs of boost hits just before the apex.  Thank goodness for ridiculously good brakes. 

Something about the turbo being mounted 56" away from the exhaust valves. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC